Renewable and Nonrenewable Resource Theory Applied to Coastal Agriculture, Forest, Wetland, and Fishery Linkages
AbstractThis paper addresses tradeoffs in wetland development using a framework that integrates economic theory of renewable and nonrenewable resources. The theory treats wetland development as use of a nonrenewable resource, while wetland preservation protects critical fishery habitat. The framework recognizes that wetland quality may vary for either development or fisheries. An illustrative application assesses tradeoffs in converting pocosin wetlands to agriculture rather than maintaining wetlands to protect salinity in estuarine nursery areas. Results reveal the marginal value of salinity protection may be substantial, while location may affect a wetland's value to an estuarine shrimp fishery. Comparisons between agricultural and forestry landuses show that ecological links may cause wetland values to depend upon the land-use chosen for the developed state. Future assessments of other development may reveal additional impacts through impacts on salinity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Marine Resources Foundation in its journal Marine Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 09 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uri.edu/cels/enre/mre/mre.htm
nonrenewable; renewable; fishery; wetland value; pocosin; Pamlico Sound; Community/Rural/Urban Development; Environmental Economics and Policy; Land Economics/Use; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ralph J. Brown, 1976. "A Study of the Impact of the Wetlands Easement Program on Agricultural Land Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 52(4), pages 509-517.
- Stavins, Robert N., 1990. "Alternative renewable resource strategies: A simulation of optimal use," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 143-159, September.
- Farber, Stephen, 1987. "The value of coastal wetlands for protection of property against hurricane wind damage," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 143-151, June.
- Loomis, John B., 1988. "The Bioeconomic Effects of Timber Harvesting on Recreational and Commercial Salmon and Steelhead Fishing: A Case Study of the Siuslaw National Forest," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 5(1).
- Leonard Shabman & Michael K. Bertelson, 1979. "The Use of Development Value Estimates for Coastal Wetland Permit Decisions," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 54(2), pages 213-222.
- Kahn, James R., 1987. "Measuring the Economic Damages Associated with Terrestrial Pollution of Marine Ecosystems," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 4(3).
- Lynne, Gary D. & Conroy, Patricia & Prochaska, Frederick J., 1981. "Economic valuation of marsh areas for marine production processes," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 175-186, June.
- Whitehead, John C., 1993. "Total Economic Values for Coastal and Marine Wildlife: Specification, Validity and Valuation Issues," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 8(2).
- Swallow, Stephen K., 1990. "Depletion of the environmental basis for renewable resources: The economics of interdependent renewable and nonrenewable resources," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 281-296, November.
- Wilen, James E., 1985. "Bioeconomics of renewable resource use," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 61-124 Elsevier.
- Danielson, Leon E. & Leitch, Jay A., 1986. "Private vs public economics of prairie wetland allocation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 81-92, March.
- Lee, Lung-fei & Maddala, G S & Trost, R P, 1980. "Asymptotic Covariance Matrices of Two-Stage Probit and Two-Stage Tobit Methods for Simultaneous Equations Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 491-503, March.
- Batie, Sandra S. & Wilson, James R., 1978. "Economic Values Attributable To Virginia'S Coastal Wetlands As Input In Oyster Production," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 10(01), July.
- Kahn, James R. & Kemp, W. Michael, 1985. "Economic losses associated with the degradation of an ecosystem: The case of submerged aquatic vegetation in Chesapeake Bay," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 246-263, September.
- Clark, Colin W. & Munro, Gordon R., 1975. "The economics of fishing and modern capital theory: A simplified approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 92-106, December.
- Costanza, Robert & Farber, Stephen C. & Maxwell, Judith, 1989. "Valuation and management of wetland ecosystems," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 335-361, December.
- Fisher, Anthony C. & Krutilla, John V., 1974. "Valuing long run ecological consequences and irreversibilities," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 96-108, August.
- Edward Barbier & Ivar Strand & Suthawan Sathirathai, 2002. "Do Open Access Conditions Affect the Valuation of an Externality? Estimating the Welfare Effects of Mangrove-Fishery Linkages in Thailand," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 21(4), pages 343-365, April.
- Edward Barbier & Ivar Strand, 1998. "Valuing Mangrove-Fishery Linkages – A Case Study of Campeche, Mexico," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 12(2), pages 151-166, September.
- Bauer, Dana Marie & Swallow, Stephen K., 2005. "Allocation of Land at the Rural-Urban Fringe Using a Spatially-Realistic Ecosystem Constraint," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19394, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Islam, Mursaleena & Braden, John B., 2006.
"Bio-economic development of floodplains: farming versus fishing in Bangladesh,"
Environment and Development Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 95-126, February.
- Islam, Mursaleena & Braden, John B., 2003. "Bio-Economic Development Of Floodplains: Farming Versus Fishing In Bangladesh," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22084, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Akpalu, Wisdom & Parks, Peter J., 2005.
"Natural Resource use Conflict: Gold Mining in Tropical Rainforest in Ghana,"
Working Papers in Economics
182, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Akpalu, Wisdom & Parks, Peter J., 2007. "Natural resource use conflict: gold mining in tropical rainforest in Ghana," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(01), pages 55-72, February.
- Duncan Knowler, 2002. "A Review of Selected Bioeconomic Models with Environmental Influences in Fisheries," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 163-181, May.
- Mykoniatis, Nikolaos & Ready, Richard, 2013.
"Evaluating habitat-fishery interactions: The case of Submerged Aquatic Vegetation and Blue Crab fishery in the Chesapeake Bay,"
2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C.
150272, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Mykoniatis, Nikolaos & Ready, Richard, 2013. "Evaluating habitat-fishery interactions: The case of Submerged Aquatic Vegetation and Blue Crab fishery in the Chesapeake Bay," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150683, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Swallow, Stephen K., 1996. "Economic Issues In Ecosystem Management: An Introduction And Overview," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 25(2), October.
- Paulo A.L.D. Nunes & Jeroen C.J.M. van den Bergh & Peter Nijkamp, 2000. "Ecological-Economic Analysis and Valuation of Biodiversity," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-100/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Barbier, Edward B., 2000. "Valuing the environment as input: review of applications to mangrove-fishery linkages," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 47-61, October.
- Simonit, Silvio & Perrings, Charles, 2011. "Sustainability and the value of the 'regulating' services: Wetlands and water quality in Lake Victoria," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(6), pages 1189-1199, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.