A Bioeconomic Analysis of the Greenland Shrimp Fishery in the Davis Strait
AbstractThis paper presents a bioeconomic analysis determining the resource rent and optimum effort of the shrimp (Pandalus borealis) fishery in the Davis Strait, taking into account the discard behaviour of the fleet. It is demonstrated that, from an economic point of view, the shrimp stock in the Davis Strait is substantially overfished. In order to obtain the maximum economic yield, the effort must be reduced by at least 40% compared to the effort level of 1991. The gain in resource rent by reducing effort is estimated to be at least 20% compared to the resource rent of 1991.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Marine Resources Foundation in its journal Marine Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 08 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uri.edu/cels/enre/mre/mre.htm
Bioeconomics; rent; discard; shrimp; Greenland; Environmental Economics and Policy; Production Economics;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eggert, Hakan & Ulmestrand, Mats, 1999. "A Bioeconomic Analysis Of The Swedish Fishery For Norway Lobster (Nephrops Norvegicus)," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 14(3).
- Sherry Larkin & Gil Sylvia, 2004. "Generating Enhanced Fishery Rents by Internalizing Product Quality Characteristics," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 28(1), pages 101-122, May.
- Thunberg, Eric M. & Helser, T.E. & Mayo, R.K., 1998. "Bioeconomic Analysis Of Alternative Selection Patterns In The United States Atlantic Silver Hake Fishery," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 13(1).
- Vestergaard, Niels, 1996. "Discard Behavior, Highgrading And Regulation: The Case Of The Greenland Shrimp Fishery," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 11(4).
- Mardle, S. & Pascoe, S., 2000. "Use of evolutionary methods for bioeconomic optimization models: an application to fisheries," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 33-49, October.
- Håkan Eggert, 1998. "Bioeconomic Analysis and Management," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 11(3), pages 399-411, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.