The Icelandic Individual Transferable Quota System: A Descriptive Account
AbstractThis paper provides a brief description of the evolution and current structure of the individual quota system (IQ) in the Icelandic fisheries. This particular fisheries managerial system was introduced at different times in different fisheries â€” in the herring fisheries in 1976, in the capelin fishery in 1980 and the demersal fisheries in 1984. Since 1990 all Icelandic fisheries have been subject to a uniform system of individual transferable quotas (ITQs). The paper discusses the social and economic impetus for the initial adoption of the ITQ fisheries system in the various fisheries, sketches its subsequent development and describes the key elements of the current system. Assessments of the economic impact of the ITQ system are presented in the last part of the paper. Although a definitive study of this impact is not available, the various indicators presented generally indicate an improvement, sometimes substantial one, in the economic efficiency of the fisheries in question.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Marine Resources Foundation in its journal Marine Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 08 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uri.edu/cels/enre/mre/mre.htm
Individual transferable quotas; fishery management; economic impact and performance; Environmental Economics and Policy; Production Economics;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bergland, Harald & Clark, Derek J. & Pedersen, Pal Andreas, 2001. "Rent Seeking And The Regulation Of A Natural Resource," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 16(3).
- Sanchirico, James & Holland, Daniel & Quigley, Kathryn & Fina, Mark, 2005. "Analysis of Flexibility Mechanisms for Quota-Catch Balancing in Multispecies Individual Fishing Quotas," Discussion Papers dp-05-54, Resources For the Future.
- Claire Armstrong, 2008. "Using history dependence to design a dynamic tradeable quota system under market imperfections," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 39(4), pages 447-457, April.
- Larson, Donald F. & Parks, Paul, 1999. "Risks, lessons learned, and secondary markets for greenhouse gas reductions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2090, The World Bank.
- Fell, Harrison, 2008.
"Ex-vessel Pricing and IFQs: A Strategic Approach,"
dp-08-01, Resources For the Future.
- Gísli Pálsson, 1996. "Commodity fiction and cod fishing," Nordic Journal of Political Economy, Nordic Journal of Political Economy, vol. 23, pages 75-86.
- Olivier Guyader, 2002. "Simulating the Effect of Regulatory Systems in a Fishery, An Application to the French Driftnet Albacore Fleet," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 23(1), pages 1-28, September.
- Cancino, Jose P. & Uchida, Hirotsugu & Wilen, James E., 2007. "TURFs and ITQs: Collective vs. Individual Decision Making," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 22(4).
- Pintassilgo, Pedro, 2000. "The New Member Problem in the Cooperative Management of the Northern Atlantic Bluefin Tuna," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp373, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Casey, Keith E. & Dewees, Christopher M. & Turris, Bruce R. & Wilen, James E., 1995. "The Effects of Individual Vessel Quotas in the British Columbia Halibut Fishery," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 10(3).
- Homans, Frances R. & Wilen, James E., 2005. "Markets and rent dissipation in regulated open access fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 381-404, March.
- Pintassilgo, Pedro & Duarte, Clara Costa, 2000. "The New-Member Problem In The Cooperative Management Of High Seas Fisheries," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 15(4).
- Keisaku Higashida & Yasuhiro Takarada, 2011. "On Efficiency of Individual Transferable Quotas (ITQs) through Reduction of Vessels," Discussion Paper Series 68, School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University, revised Jan 2011.
- HIGASHIDA Keisaku & TAKARADA Yasuhiro, 2009. "Efficiency of Individual Transferable Quotas (ITQ) Systems and Input and Stock Controls," Discussion papers 09046, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.