Applications Of Dual Theory In Fisheries: A Survey
AbstractThis paper surveys empirical studies that utilize the theory of the firm and dual theory to reveal economic and technological conditions of fish harvesting firms. The dual approach is highly suitable for revealing disaggregated structures in fishing processes that consist of several inputs and outputs. Building on the functional forms of cost, profit, or revenue functions, the dual approach has improved our understanding of technological production conditions based on data at firm level. This is done by addressing a variety of different technological issues for multispecies harvesting firms, such as transformation between species, substitution between fishing inputs, economies of scope and scale, industrial organization, etc. Moreover, the approach has been useful as a means of providing information on public management of resource exploitation by dealing with various regulatory regimes; i.e., input management, output management, and prospects for future regulation. The purpose of this paper is to review theoretical issues and empirical results with respect to fishing gear and regulatory regimes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Marine Resources Foundation in its journal Marine Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uri.edu/cels/enre/mre/mre.htm
Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neary, J. P. & Roberts, K. W. S., 1980.
"The theory of household behaviour under rationing,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 25-42, January.
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978. "The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Thunberg, Eric M. & Bresnyan, Edward W. & Adams, Charles M., 1995. "Economic Analysis of Technical Interdependencies and the Value of Effort in a Multi-Species Fishery," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 10(1).
- Segerson, Kathleen & Squires, Dale, 1990. "On the measurement of economic capacity utilization for multi-product industries," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 347-361, June.
- Dupont, Diane P., 1990. "Rent dissipation in restricted access fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 26-44, July.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Kulatilaka, Nalin, 1985. "Tests on the validity of static equilibrium models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 253-268, May.
- Kjell Salvanes & Dale Squires, 1995. "Transferable quotas, enforcement costs and typical firms: An empirical application to the Norwegian trawler fleet," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 6(1), pages 1-21, July.
- Squires, Dale, 1987. "Fishing effort: Its testing, specification, and internal structure in fisheries economics and management," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 268-282, September.
- Morrison, Catherine J, 1985. "Primal and Dual Capacity Utilization: An Application to Productivity Measurement in the U.S. Automobile Industry," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 312-24, October.
- Jensen, Carsten Lynge, 1998. "Investment Behavior And Tax Policy," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 13(3).
- Weninger, Quinn, 1998.
"Assessing Efficiency Gains From Individual Transferable Quotas: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery,"
Staff General Research Papers
5065, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Quinn Weninger, 1998. "Assessing Efficiency Gains from Individual Transferable Quotas: An Application to the Mid-Atlantic Surf Clam and Ocean Quahog Fishery," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 750-764.
- Diewert, W E, 1974. "Functional Forms for Revenue and Factor Requirements Functions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 15(1), pages 119-30, February.
- Hall, Robert E, 1973. "The Specification of Technology with Several Kinds of Output," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 878-92, July-Aug..
- Conrad, Klaus & Unger, Ralph, 1987. "Ex post tests for short-and long-run optimization," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 339-358, November.
- Shumway, C. Richard, 1995. "Recent Duality Contributions In Production Economics," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Sean Pascoe & Catherine Robinson, 1998. "Input Controls, Input Substitution and Profit Maximisation in the English Channel Beam Trawl Fishery," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 16-33.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1976. "A characterization of the normalized restricted profit function," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 131-163, February.
- Bjorndal, Trond, 1987. " Production Economics and Optimal Stock Size in a North Atlantic Fishery," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(2), pages 145-64.
- Niels Vestergaard, 1999. "Multiproduct Industries: The Case of Multispecies Individual Quota Fisheries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 729-743, May.
- Squires, Dale & Kirkley, James, 1991. "Production quota in multiproduct pacific fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 109-126, September.
- Lipton, Douglas W. & Strand, Ivar Jr., 1989. "The effect of common property on the optimal structure of the fishing industry," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 45-51, January.
- Sakai, Yasuhiro, 1974. "Substitution and expansion effects in production theory: The case of joint production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 255-274, November.
- Pope, Rulon D., 1982. "To Dual Or Not To Dual?," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 7(02), December.
- Trond Bjørndal & Daniel V. Gordon, 1993. "The Opportunity Cost of Capital and Optimal Vessel Size in the Norwegian Fishing Fleet," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(1), pages 98-107.
- Lopez, Ramon E., 1982. "Applications Of Duality Theory To Agriculture," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 7(02), December.
- H. F. Campbell & R. B. Nicholl, 1994. "Can Purse Seiners Target Yellowfin Tuna?," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(3), pages 345-354.
- Campbell, H. F., 1991. "Estimating the elasticity of substitution between restricted and unrestricted inputs in a regulated fishery: A probit approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 262-274, May.
- Eggert, Håkan & Tveterås, Ragnar, 2004. "Potential Rent and Overcapacity in the Swedish Baltic Sea Trawl Fishery," Working Papers in Economics 152, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Per Sandberg, 2006. "Variable unit costs in an output-regulated industry: The Fishery," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1007-1018.
- Lars Gårn Hansen & Carsten Lynge Jensen, 2010. "Jointness through fishing days input in a multi-species Fishery," IFRO Working Paper 2010/8, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Hoff, Ayoe & Frost, Hans, 2007. "Optimal Vessel Quotas and Capacity of a Danish Trawler Fleet Segment: A Dual Approach," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 22(1).
- Peruso, Larry & Weldon, Richard N. & Larkin, Sherry L., 2005. "Predicting Optimal Targeting Strategies in Multispecies Fisheries: A Portfolio Approach," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 20(1).
- Guttormsen, Atle G. & Roll, Kristin H., 2011. "Technical Efficiency in a Heterogeneous Fishery: The Case of Norwegian Groundfish Fisheries," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 26(4).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.