The Benefits Of Water Quality Improvement For Marine Recreation: A Review Of The Empirical Evidence
AbstractThis paper reviews the empirical literature on the economic value of marine recreation fishing, beach visits, and boating. Questions addressed include: What values do people place on changes in the attributes of recreation sites and activities? What do we know about how water pollution control policy affects these attributes? And, is it feasible to use the value information obtained for specific sites and/or activities to estimate the benefits of improving marine water quality? The literature establishes that some measures of pollution reduce the values of trips to beaches and that improved fishing success is valued by recreational anglers. However, there is substantial variation in value measures across studies. Welfare estimates can be sensitive to model specification and estimation. In the case of marine recreational fishing, the links between pollution control policy and the attributes of the activity that people value (catch rate) have not been established.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Marine Resources Foundation in its journal Marine Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 10 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uri.edu/cels/enre/mre/mre.htm
Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loomis, John B., 1988. "The Bioeconomic Effects of Timber Harvesting on Recreational and Commercial Salmon and Steelhead Fishing: A Case Study of the Siuslaw National Forest," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 5(1).
- Smith, V Kerry & Palmquist, Raymond B & Jakus, Paul, 1991. "Combining Farrell Frontier and Hedonic Travel Cost Models for Valuing Estuarine Quality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 694-99, November.
- Morey, Edward R. & Shaw, W. Douglass & Rowe, Robert D., 1991. "A discrete-choice model of recreational participation, site choice, and activity valuation when complete trip data are not available," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 181-201, March.
- Bell, Frederick W. & Leeworthy, Vernon R., 1990. "Recreational demand by tourists for saltwater beach days," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 189-205, May.
- Cameron, Trudy Ann & James, Michelle D, 1987.
"Efficient Estimation Methods for "Closed-ended' Contingent Valuation Surveys,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 69(2), pages 269-76, May.
- Trudy Ann Cameron & Michelle D. James, 1986. "Efficient Estimation Methods for "Closed-Ended" Contingent Valuation Surveys," UCLA Economics Working Papers 404, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Kling, Catherine L., 1988.
"Comparing Welfare Estimates of Environmental Quality Changes from Recreation Demand Models,"
Staff General Research Papers
1584, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kling, Catherine L., 1988. "Comparing welfare estimates of environmental quality changes from recreation demand models," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 331-340, September.
- Cameron, Trudy Ann, 1988. "A new paradigm for valuing non-market goods using referendum data: Maximum likelihood estimation by censored logistic regression," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 355-379, September.
- Bockstael, Nancy E. & McConnell, Kenneth E. & Strand, Ivar E., Jr., 1989. "Measuring the Benefits of Improvements in Water Quality: The Chesapeake Bay," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 6(1).
- Kling, Catherine L. & Bockstael, Nancy & Hanemann, W. Michael, 1987.
"Estimating the Value of Water Quality Improvements in a Recreational Demand Framework,"
Staff General Research Papers
1594, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kling, Catherine L. & Bockstael, Nancy & Michael, W., 1999. "Estimating the Value of Water Quality Improvements in a Recreational Demand Framework," Staff General Research Papers 12334, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- John C. Whitehead, 2005. "Contingent Valuation and Random Utility Model Estimates of the Recreational Value of King Mackerel," Working Papers 05-08, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Huang, Ju-Chin & Poor, P. Joan & Zhao, Min Qiang, 2007. "Economic Valuation of Beach Erosion Control," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 22(3).
- Laukkanen, Marita & Huhtala, Anni, 2006.
"Optimal Management of a Eutrophied Coastal Ecosystem: Balancing Agricultural and Municipal Abatement Measures,"
11856, MTT Agrifood Research Finland.
- Marita Laukkanen & Anni Huhtala, 2008. "Optimal management of a eutrophied coastal ecosystem: balancing agricultural and municipal abatement measures," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 39(2), pages 139-159, February.
- Eggert, Håkan & Olsson, Björn, 2004. "Heterogeneous preferences for marine amenities: A choice experiment applied to water quality," Working Papers in Economics 126, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Robert L. Hicks, 2004. "Recreational Fishing and the Benefits of Oyster Reef Restoration in the Chesapeake Bay," Working Papers 01, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Hicks, Robert L. & Gautam, Amy B. & van Voorhees, David & Osborn, Maury & Gentner, Brad, 1999. "An Introduction To The Nmfs Marine Recreational Fisheries Statistics Survey With An Emphasis On Economic Valuation," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 14(4).
- Boyd, James & Krupnick, Alan, 2009. "The Definition and Choice of Environmental Commodities for Nonmarket Valuation," Discussion Papers dp-09-35, Resources For the Future.
- Eggert, Hakan, 2006.
"Fisheries Economics and 20 Years with Marine Resource Economics: A Citation Analysis,"
Marine Resource Economics,
Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 21(3).
- Eggert, Håkan, 2006. "Fisheries Economics and 20 years with Marine Resource Economics: A Citation Analysis," Working Papers in Economics 203, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Lipton, Douglas W., 2003.
"The Value Of Improved Water Quality To Chesapeake Bay Boaters,"
28603, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Lipton, Douglas W., 2004. "The Value Of Improved Water Quality To Chesapeake Bay Boaters," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 19(2).
- Carter, David W. & Liese, Christopher, 2010. "Hedonic Valuation of Sportfishing Harvest," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 25(4).
- Wheeler, Sarah Ann & Damania, Richard, 2001. "Valuing New Zealand recreational fishing and an assessment of the validity of the contingent valuation estimates," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(4), December.
- Taylor, R. Garth & Woodall, Stacie & Wandschneider, Philip R. & Foltz, John C., 2004. "The Demand for Wine Tourism in Canyon County, Idaho," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 7(04).
- Duncan Knowler, 2002. "A Review of Selected Bioeconomic Models with Environmental Influences in Fisheries," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 163-181, May.
- Kerr, Geoffrey N. & Latham, N., 2011. "The Value of Recreational Inshore Marine Fishing," 2011 Conference, August 25-26, 2011, Nelson, New Zealand 115408, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Sumaila, Ussif Rashid & Berman, Matthew D., 2006. "Thalassorama - Discounting, Amenity Values, and Marine Ecosystem Restoration," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 21(2).
- Carson, Richard T. & Hanemann, W. Michael & Wegge, Thomas C., 2009. "A Nested Logit Model of Recreational Fishing Demand in Alaska," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 24(2).
- Beharry-Borg, Nesha & Scarpa, Riccardo, 2010. "Valuing quality changes in Caribbean coastal waters for heterogeneous beach visitors," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(5), pages 1124-1139, March.
- Bergstrom, John C. & Dorfman, Jeffrey H. & Loomis, John B., 2003. "Estuary Management And Recreational Fishing Benefits," Faculty Series 16694, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.