Price Formation and Market Integration on the European First-hand Market for Whitefish
AbstractTotal Allowable catches (TACs) for whitefish in European Union (EU) waters have been reduced each year for the past five years, thereby reducing fleet revenue. During the same period prices increased, partly offsetting income reductions. However, price changes depend on the structure of the market within which they are formed. Therefore, this paper examines the structure of the European first-hand market for whitefish. A Vector Auto Regressive (VAR) model in Error Correction form (ECM) is used to analyse landing prices among the main fishing nations, using co-integration tests and tests for the Law of One Price (LOP) to determine the degree of market integration. A partially integrated European first-hand market for whitefish is identified and as a part of this, a perfectly spatially integrated cod market. The existence of this relatively loose market integration is explained by the presence of rigidities on the supply side. The implications are discussed in relation to reductions in EU whitefish TACs and quotas and the market policies applied.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Marine Resources Foundation in its journal Marine Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uri.edu/cels/enre/mre/mre.htm
price formation; market integration; co-integration; Law of One Price; first-hand market for whitefish; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy; F15; Q21;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- Q21 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Demand and Supply (the Commons)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1996. "Aggregation without Separability: A Generalized Composite Commodity Theorem," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 524-43, June.
- Kjell G. Salvanes, 1997. "Market Delineation and Demand Structure," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 139-150.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1990.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests,"
1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "EGTEST: RATS procedure to compute Engle-Granger test for Cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTS00061, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2010. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Loannides, Chris & Whitmarsh, David, 1987. "Price formation in fisheries," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 143-145, April.
- Asche, F. & Bremnes, H. & Wessells, C.R., 1998.
"Product Aggregation, Market Integration and Relationships Between Prices: an Application to World Salmon Markets,"
27/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Frank Asche & Helge Bremnes & Cathy R. Wessells, 1999. "Product Aggregation, Market Integration, and Relationships between Prices: An Application to World Salmon Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 568-581.
- Frank Asche & Ola Flaaten & John R. Isaksen & Terje Vassdal, 2002. "Derived Demand and Relationships between Prices at Different Levels in the Value Chain: A Note," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 101-107.
- Burton, Michael P., 1992. "The Demand For Wet Fish in Great Britain," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 7(2).
- Gloria Gonz�lez-Rivera & Steven M. Helfand, 2001. "The Extent, Pattern, and Degree of Market Integration: A Multivariate Approach for the Brazilian Rice Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 576-592.
- Jurgen A Doornik & Henrik Hansen, .
"An omnibus test for univariate and multivariate normalit,"
W4&91., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Jurgen A. Doornik & Henrik Hansen, 2008. "An Omnibus Test for Univariate and Multivariate Normality," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(s1), pages 927-939, December.
- Asche, Frank & Hannesson, Rognvaldur, 2002. "Allocation Of Fish Between Markets And Product Forms," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 17(3).
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1994.
"Identification of the long-run and the short-run structure an application to the ISLM model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 7-36, July.
- Søren Johansen & Katarina Juselius, 1992. "Identification of the Long-Run and the Short-Run Structure: An Application to the ISLM Model," Discussion Papers 92-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Dragan Miljkovic & Rodney J. Paul, 2001. "Product Aggregation, Market Integration, and Relationships between Prices: An Application to World Salmon Markets: Comment," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 1087-1089.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Gordon, Daniel V. & Hannesson, Rognvaldur, 1996. "On Prices Of Fresh And Frozen Cod Fish In European And U.S. Markets," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 11(4).
- Norman-Lopez, Ana & Asche, Frank, 2008. "Competition Between Imported Tilapia and US Catfish in the US Market," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 23(2).
- Guillotreau, Patrice & Jiménez-Toribio, Ramón, 2011. "The price effect of expanding fish auction markets," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 211-225, August.
- Ramòn Jiménez-Toribio & Patrice Guillotreau & Rémi Mongruel, 2009. "Global integration of European tuna markets," Working Papers hal-00430014, HAL.
- Nielsen, Max & Setala, Jari & Laitinen, Jukka & Saarni, Kaija & Virtanen, Jarno & Honkanen, Asmo, 2007. "Market Integration of Farmed Trout in Germany," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 22(2).
- Vinuya, Ferdinand D., 2006. "Testing for Market Integration and the Law of One Price in World Shrimp Markets," 2006 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2006, Orlando, Florida 35351, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.