Effects Of The American Fisheries Act On Capacity, Utilization And Technical Efficiency
AbstractThe American Fisheries Act (AFA) of 1998 significantly altered the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands pollock fishery by allowing the formation of harvesting and processing cooperatives and defining exclusive fishing rights. This paper uses data envelopment analysis and stochastic production frontier models to examine effects of the AFA on the fishing capacity, technical harvesting efficiency (TE), and capacity utilization (CU) of pollock catcher-processors. Results from multi-input, multi-output models indicate that fishing capacity fell by more than 30% and that harvesting TE and CU measures increased relative to past years. This work provides examples of how existing data, which is currently devoid of operator costs and provides only general indicators of earnings, may be used to analyze changes in elements of fleet and vessel performance in response to management actions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Marine Resources Foundation in its journal Marine Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uri.edu/cels/enre/mre/mre.htm
Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Kokkelenberg, Edward C, 1989. "Measuring Plant Capacity, Utilization and Technical Change: A Nonparametric Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 655-66, August.
- Quinn Weninger, 2001.
"An analysis of the efficient production frontier in the fishery: implications for enhanced fisheries management,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(1), pages 71-79.
- Weninger, Quinn, 2001. "An Analysis of the Efficient Production Frontier in the Fishery: Implications for Enhanced Fisheries Management," Staff General Research Papers 5071, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 1993. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072181.
- Sherry L. Larkin & Gilbert Sylvia, 1999. "Intrinsic Fish Characteristics and Intraseason Production Efficiency: A Management-Level Bioeconomic Analysis of a Commercial Fishery," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 29-43.
- Criddle, Keith R. & Macinko, Seth, 2000.
"A requiem for the IFQ in US fisheries?,"
Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 461-469, November.
- Fare, Rolf & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2003. "On aggregate Farrell efficiencies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(3), pages 615-620, May.
- Matulich, Scott C. & Sever, Murat & Inaba, Frederick S., 2001. "Fishery Cooperatives As An Alternative To Itqs: Implications Of The American Fisheries Act," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 16(1).
- Quinn Weninger, 2008.
"Economic Benefits of Management Reform in the Gulf of Mexico Grouper Fishery: A Semi-parametric Analysis,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 41(4), pages 479-497, December.
- Weninger, Quinn, 2004. "Economic Benefits of Management Reform in the Gulf of Mexico Grouper Fishery: A Semi-Parametric Analysis," Staff General Research Papers 11178, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Pascoe, Sean & Tingley, Diana, 2006. "Economic capacity estimation in fisheries: A non-parametric ray approach," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 124-138, May.
- Ronald Felthoven & William Horrace & Kurt Schnier, 2009.
"Estimating heterogeneous capacity and capacity utilization in a multi-species fishery,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 173-189, December.
- Ronald G. Felthovan & William C. Horrace & Kurt E. Schnier, 2006. "Estimating Heterogeneous Capacity and Capacity Utilization in a Multi-Species Fishery," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 86, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Torres, Marcelo de Oliveira & Felthoven, Ronald G., 2012. "Productivity Growth and Product Choice in Fisheries: the Case of the Alaskan Pollock Fishery Revisited," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124851, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & William C. Horrace & Kurt E. Schnier, 2007.
"Identifying technically efficient fishing vessels: a non-empty, minimal subset approach,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 729-745.
- Alfonso Flores-Lagunes & William C. Horrace & Kurt E. Schnier, 2006. "Identifying Technically Efficient Fishing Vessels: A Non-Empty, Minimal Subset Approach," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 78, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Deacon, Robert T. & Finnoff, David & Tschirhart, John, 2011. "Restricted capacity and rent dissipation in a regulated open access fishery," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 366-380, May.
- Julio Peña-Torres & Julio Aguirre Montoya & René Cerdá D'amico, 2004. "Pesca Demersal en Chile: Eficiencia Técnica y Escalas de Operación," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers inv152, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Nazneen K. Chowdhury & Tom Kompas & Kaliappa Kalirajan, 2010. "Impact of control measures in fisheries management: evidence from Bangladesh's industrial trawl fishery," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(1), pages 765-773.
- Tingley, Diana & Pascoe, Sean, 2005. "Eliminating Excess Capacity: Implications for the Scottish Fishing Industry," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 20(4).
- Tomberlin, David & Holloway, Garth J., 2006. "Bayesian Ranking and Selection of Fishing Boat Efficiencies," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 21(4).
- Kirkley, James E. & Morrison Paul, Catherine J. & Squires, Dale, 2004. "Deterministic and Stochastic Capacity Estimation for Fishery Capacity Reduction," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 19(3).
- Felthoven, Ronald G. & Horrace, William C. & Schnier, Kurt E., 2006. "Estimating Heterogeneous Primal Capacity and Capacity Utilization Measures in a Multi-Species Fishery," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21276, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.