Collective Entrepreneurship: An Emerging Phenomenon in Producer-Owned Organizations
AbstractThis paper introduces and defines the concept of collective entrepreneurship. A review of the defensive single-level rent-seeking objective of traditional agricultural cooperatives is introduced followed by an analysis of recent studies documenting a shift in the objective functions of producers jointly integrating toward more multiple-level rent-seeking entities. This process of shifting from market failure-ameliorating collective action mechanisms toward rent-seeking group action organizations is labeled collective entrepreneurship. The justification for introducing this concept is based on the Olsonian premise that rational, self-interested individuals will not act to achieve their common or group interests without coercion or selective incentives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 02 (August)
agricultural cooperatives; entrepreneurship; Agribusiness; Community/Rural/Urban Development; Labor and Human Capital; D23; D72; Q13;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabio R. Chaddad & Michael L. Cook & Thomas Heckelei, 2005. "Testing for the Presence of Financial Constraints in US Agricultural Cooperatives: An Investment Behaviour Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(3), pages 385-397.
- George Hendrikse & Jos Bijman, 2002. "Ownership Structure in Agrifood Chains: The Marketing Cooperative," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 104-119.
- Nicolai J. Foss & Peter G. Klein, 2004. "Entrepreneurshoip and the Economic Theory of the Firm Any Gains from Trade?," DRUID Working Papers 04-12, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Cook, Michael L. & Burress, Molly J. & Iliopoulos, Constantine, 2008. "New Producer Strategies: The Emergence of Patron-Driven Entrepreneurship," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44397, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Liang, Q. & Hendrikse, G.W.J. & Huang, Z. & Xu, X., 2012. "Core and Common Members in Chinese Farmer Cooperatives," Research Paper ERS-2012-002-STR, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Murray-Prior, Roy B., 0. "Are Farmers in the Transitional Economies Likely to Benefit from Forming Collaborative Marketing Groups?," BANWA Agribusiness and Management Issues, University of the Philippines Mindanao.
- Saïsset, L.A. & Couderc, J.P. & Bou Saba, M., 2011. "Cooperative performance measurement proposal (a test with the cooperfic© tool for wine cooperatives in Languedoc-Roussillon)," Working Papers MOISA 201104, UMR MOISA : Marchés, Organisations, Institutions et Stratégies d'Acteurs : CIHEAM-IAMM, CIRAD, INRA, Montpellier SupAgro, IRD - Montpellier, France.
- Per Bylund, 2010. "Piracy, Inc.—on the bearing of the firm analogy to pirate organization," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 299-305, September.
- Gabriel J. Power & Victoria Salin & John L. Park, 2012. "Strategic options associated with cooperative members' equity," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 72(1), pages 48-67, March.
- Bijman, Jos & Doorneweert, Bart, 2008. "Entrepreneurship, Collective Entrepreneurship and the Producer-Owned Firm," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43960, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mabuza, Majola Lawrence & Ortmann, Gerald F. & Wale, Edilegnaw Zegeye, 2012. "Collective action in commercial mushroom production: the role of social capital in the management of informal farmer groups in Swaziland," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126764, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.