Assessing Consumer Preferences for Country-of-Origin Labeling
AbstractIn this paper, we assess consumer willingness to pay for a mandatory country-of-origin labeling (COOL) program applied to beef ribeye steaks, chicken breasts, and pork chops, all labeled as â€œCertified U.S.â€ products. A consumer survey was mailed in spring and early summer 2003 to households in the continental United States. Results indicate that consumers are in general very concerned about food safety issues, viewing U.S. meats as the safest among the selection of countries considered. Nevertheless, consumer willingness to pay for Certified U.S. products is relatively small, although above the expected implementation costs associated with a mandatory labeling program. This finding coincides with the fact that only 36% of the sample favored consumers paying directly for the costs related to a mandatory COOL program.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 37 (2005)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
beef; consumer preferences; country-of-origin labeling; dichotomous choice; willingness to pay; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety; Food Security and Poverty; D12; Q13;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy C. Haab & Ju-Chin Huang & John C. Whitehead, .
"Are Hypothetical Referenda Incentive Compatible? A Comment,"
9708, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Timothy C. Haab & Ju-Chin Huang & John C. Whitehead, 1999. "Are Hypothetical Referenda Incentive Compatible? A Comment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(1), pages 186-196, February.
- John List & Craig Gallet, 2001. "What Experimental Protocol Influence Disparities Between Actual and Hypothetical Stated Values?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 20(3), pages 241-254, November.
- Roosen, Jutta & Lusk, Jayson L. & Fox, John A., 2001.
"Consumer Demand For And Attitudes Toward Alternative Beef Labeling Strategies In France, Germany, And The Uk,"
2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL
20643, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jutta Roosen & Jayson L. Lusk & John A. Fox, 2003. "Consumer demand for and attitudes toward alternative beef labeling strategies in France, Germany, and the UK," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 77-90.
- Jayson L. Lusk, 2003.
"Effects of Cheap Talk on Consumer Willingness-to-Pay for Golden Rice,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 840-856.
- Lusk, Jayson L., 2002. "Effects Of Cheap Talk On Consumer Willingness-To-Pay For Golden Rice," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19597, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Maria Luz Loureiro & Jill J. McCluskey, 2000. "Assessing consumer response to protected geographical identification labeling," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 309-320.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2003. "Estimating Consumer Willingness to Pay for Country-of-Origin Labeling," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), August.
- John Loomis, 1993. "An investigation into the reliability of intended visitation behavior," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 3(2), pages 183-191, April.
- Plain, Ronald L. & Grimes, Glenn, 2003. "Benefits Of Cool To The Cattle Industry," Working Papers 26048, University of Missouri Columbia, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Norwood, F. Bailey, 2006. "Social Desirability Bias in Willingness-to-Pay for Products with Normative Attributes," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21428, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Henseleit, Meike & Kubitzki, Sabine & Teuber, Ramona, 2007. "Determinants of Consumer Preferences for Regional Food," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7871, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Violette, William J. & Harou, Aurélie P. & Upton, Joanna B. & Bell, Samuel D. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Gómez, Miguel I. & Lentz, Erin C., 2013. "Recipients’ Satisfaction with Locally Procured Food Aid Rations: Comparative Evidence from a Three Country Matched Survey," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 30-43.
- Mennecke, Brian & Townsend, Anthony & Hayes, Dermot J. & Lonergan, Steven, 2006. "A Study of the Factors That Influence Consumer Attitudes Toward Beef Products Using the Conjoint Market Analysis Tool," Staff General Research Papers 12650, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Anders, Sven & Caswell, Julie A., 2009.
"The Benefits and Costs of Proliferation of Geographical Labeling for Developing Countries,"
Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy,
Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 10(1).
- Sven Anders & Julie A. Caswell, 2008. "The Benefits and Costs of Proliferation of Geographical Labelling for Developing Countries," Working Papers 2008-7, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Resource Economics.
- Dinopoulos, Elias & Livanis, Grigorios & West, Carol, 2010. "Country of Origin Labeling (C.O.O.L.): How cool is it?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 575-589, October.
- Brian Mennecke & Anthony Townsend & Dermot J. Hayes & Steven M. Lonergan, 2006. "Study of the Factors that Influence Consumer Attitudes Toward Beef Products Using the Conjoint Market Analysis Tool, A," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 06-wp425, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Bolliger, Conradin, 2011. "Assessing Consumers' Cognitive, Affective and Normative Associations on Willingness-to-pay for Domestic Foods," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114259, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Grebitus, Carola & Colson, Gregory & Menapace, Luisa & Bruhn, Maike, 2010.
"Who cares about food origin? A comparison of hypothetical survey responses and actual shopping behavior,"
2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado
61344, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Grebitus, Carola & Colson, Gregory & Menapace, Luisa, 2012. "A comparison of hypothetical survey rankings with consumer shopping behavior and product knowledge," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 44(01), February.
- Scozzafava, Gabriele & Casini, Leonardo & Marinelli, Nicola, 2012. "Modern Distribution vs. Specialised Shop: a Study on beef consumer behaviour," 2012 XX Convegno Annuale SIEA, Siracusa 130448, Italian Society of Agri-food Economics/Società Italiana di Economia Agro-Alimentare (SIEA).
- Pozo, Veronica F. & Saak, Alexander E. & Hanawa-Peterson, Hikaru, 2009. "Product Origin and Reputation for Quality: the Case of Organic Foods," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49503, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Travisi, Chiara Maria & Nijkamp, Peter, 2008. "Valuing environmental and health risk in agriculture: A choice experiment approach to pesticides in Italy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(4), pages 598-607, November.
- Lewis, Karen E. & Grebitus, Carola, 2013. "Consumers’ Attitudes towards Country of Origin Labeling for Sugar," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150162, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2007. "A choice experiment model for beef: What US consumer responses tell us about relative preferences for food safety, country-of-origin labeling and traceability," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 496-514, August.
- Wendy J. Umberger & Dawn D. Thilmany McFadden & Amanda R. Smith, 2009. "Does altruism play a role in determining U.S. consumer preferences and willingness to pay for natural and regionally produced beef?," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 268-285.
- Bolliger, Conradin & Reviron, Sophie, 2008. "Consumer Willingness to Pay for Swiss Chicken Meat: An In-store Survey to Link Stated and Revealed Buying Behaviour," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44155, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zepeda, Lydia & Li, Jinghan, 2006. "Who Buys Local Food?," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 37(03), November.
- Pouliot, Sébastien & Sumner, Daniel A., 2012. "Differential Impacts of Country of Origin Labeling: COOL Econometric Evidence from Cattle Markets," Working Papers 148593, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
- Tonsor, Glynn T. & Wolf, Christopher A., 2011. "On mandatory labeling of animal welfare attributes," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 430-437, June.
- Donatella Baiardi & Riccardo Puglisi & Simona Scabrosetti, 2012. "Individual Attitudes on Food Quality and Safety: Empirical Evidence on EU Countries," DEM Working Papers Series 014, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Management.
- Fred Kuchler & Barry Krissoff & David Harvey, 2010. "Do Consumers Respond to Country-of-Origin Labelling?," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 323-337, December.
- Iimi, Atsushi, 2007. "Infrastructure and trade preferences for the livestock sector : empirical evidence from the beef industry in Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4201, The World Bank.
- Awada, Lana & Yiannaka, Amalia, 2012. "Consumer perceptions and the effects of country of origin labeling on purchasing decisions and welfare," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 21-30.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.