Consistency of Consumer Valuation Under Different Information Sets: An Experimental Auction with Sweet Potatoes
AbstractWe used a controlled, uniform 5th-price auction to elicit values for sweet potatoesâ€”both when location is known and unknown, and before and after tasting and providing health information. Significant differences were found between pre- and post-consumption valuations and also found that there were significant effects for location of origin and health information. Interestingly, we also find that location of origin not only affects the level of bids, but also the marginal differences in bids between different potatoes. Overall, however, these results suggest little consistency in bid values across information sets, suggesting that attempting to elicit values of attributes in isolation may lead to erroneous results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Food Distribution Research Society in its journal Journal of Food Distribution Research.
Volume (Year): 37 (2006)
Issue (Month): 03 (November)
Consumer/Household Economics; Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Hudson, Darren, 2004. "Effect of monitor-subject cheap talk on ultimatum game offers," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 439-443, July.
- Lusk, Jayson L., 2003. "Using Experimental Auctions for Marketing Applications: A Discussion," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(02), August.
- Smith, Vernon L & Suchanek, Gerry L & Williams, Arlington W, 1988. "Bubbles, Crashes, and Endogenous Expectations in Experimental Spot Asset Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 1119-51, September.
- Dickinson, David L. & Bailey, DeeVon, 2002.
"Meat Traceability: Are U. S. Consumers Willing To Pay For It?,"
2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA
19670, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Dickinson, David L. & Bailey, DeeVon, 2002. "Meat Traceability: Are U.S. Consumers Willing To Pay For It?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- David Dickinson & DeeVon Bailey, 2002. "Meat Traceability: Are U.S. Consumers Willing To Pay For It?," Working Papers 2002-07, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- David Dickinson & DeeVon Bailey, 2001. "Meat traceability: are U.S. consumers willing to pay for it?," Working Papers 2001-14, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Hine, Susan E., 2002. "Discovering Niche Markets: A Comparison Of Consumer Willingness To Pay For Local (Colorado Grown), Organic, And Gmo-Free Products," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(03), December.
- Louviere,Jordan J. & Hensher,David A. & Swait,Joffre D. With contributions by-Name:Adamowicz,Wiktor, 2000. "Stated Choice Methods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521788304, October.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2003. "Estimating Consumer Willingness to Pay for Country-of-Origin Labeling," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), August.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Margolis, Michael & Koo, Cannon & List, John A., 2001. "A random nth-price auction," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 409-421, December.
- Fox, John A. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Shogren, Jason F., 2002.
"Consumer Preferences for Food Irradiation: How Favorable and Unfavorable Descriptions Affect Preferences for Irradiated Pork in Experimental Auctions,"
Staff General Research Papers
5207, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fox, John A & Hayes, Dermot J & Shogren, Jason F, 2002. " Consumer Preferences for Food Irradiation: How Favorable and Unfavorable Descriptions Affect Preferences for Irradiated Pork in Experimental Auctions," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 75-95, January.
- David G. Swartz & Ivar E. Strand, Jr., 1981. "Avoidance Costs Associated with Imperfect Information: The Case of Kepone," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 57(2), pages 139-150.
- Costanigro, Marco & Kroll, Stephan & Thilmany, Dawn D., 2012. "Local, Organic, Conventional— Asymmetric Effects of Information and Taste on Label Preferences in an Experimental Auction," 2012 AAEA/EAAE Food Environment Symposium, May 30-31, Boston, MA 123199, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- David M. Bruner & William L. Huth & David M. McEvoy & O. Ashton Morgan, 2011. "Accounting for Taste: Consumer Valuations for Food-Safety Technologies," Working Papers 11-09, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Gracia, Azucena & de Magistris, Tiziana & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 2011. "Willingness to pay for a local food label for lamb meat in Spain," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114607, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Costanigro, Marco & Kroll, Stephan & Thilmany, Dawn D. & Bunning, Marisa, 2010. "Do Taste Buds Trump Labels and Information? A Sensory Test and Economic Experiment on Organic and Local Apples," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61668, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Bernard, John C. & Bernard, Daria J., 2010. "Comparing Parts with the Whole: Willingness to Pay for Pesticide-Free, Non-GM, and Organic Potatoes and Sweet Corn," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(3), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.