Identifying Economic Risk In Cattle Feeding
AbstractCloseout data from two western Kansas commercial feedlots are examined to determine how cattle prices, feed costs, and animal performance impact the variability of cattle feeding profits. The relative impacts of these factors are studied across sex, placement weight, and placement month using standardized beta coefficients. Feeder cattle prices have a greater impact on profit variability for spring and fall placements. The effect of animal performance on variability of cattle feeding profits is greater for fall placements. Results suggest that fed cattle and feeder cattle prices should be emphasized in managing the overall risk in cattle feeding because they are the largest contributors to profit variability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia in its journal Journal of Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 18 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
cattle finishing profitability; cattle performance; feedlot closeouts; standardized beta coefficients; Livestock Production/Industries;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Langemeier, Michael R. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Mintert, James R., 1992. "Determinants Of Cattle Finishing Profitability," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Albright, Martin L. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Mintert, James R., 1993. "Determinants of Cattle Feeding Profit and Cost of Gain Variability," Staff Papers 118161, Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Forristall, Cody & May, Gary J. & Lawrence, John D., 2002. "Assessing The Cost Of Beef Quality," 2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri 19060, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Rahman, Shaikh Mahfuzur, 2006. "Optimal Incentive Structure in Cattle Feeding Contracts under Alternative Fed Cattle Pricing Methods," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21404, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mathews, Kenneth H., Jr. & Arnade, Carlos A. & Jones, Keithly G., 2008.
"Derived Demand for Cattle Feeding Inputs,"
Journal of Agribusiness,
Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 26(1).
- Belasco, Eric J. & Taylor, Mykel R. & Goodwin, Barry K., 2006.
"Probabilistic Models of Yield, Price, and Revenue Risks for Fed Cattle Production,"
2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA
21265, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Belasco, Eric J. & Taylor, Mykel R. & Goodwin, Barry K. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2009. "Probabilistic Models of Yield, Price, and Revenue Risks for Fed Cattle Production," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 41(01), April.
- May, Gary J. & Lawrence, John D., 2002. "A Decision Model To Assess Cattle Feeding Price Risk," 2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri 19067, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Parcell, Joseph L. & Schaefer, Daniel & Patterson, David J. & John, Mike & Kerley, Monty S. & Haden, Kent, 2008. "Assessing the Value of Coordinated Sire Genetics in a Synchronized AI Program," 2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 37618, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Rahman, Shaikh Mahfuzur, 2006. "Optimal Incentive Structure in Cattle Feeding Contracts Under Alternative Fed Cattle Pricing Methods," Working Papers 28549, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Maples, Josh & Harri, Ardian & Riley, John Michael & Tack, Jesse B., 2013. "Marketing Margins and Input Price Uncertainty," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150604, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.