Impacts of an Agricultural Development Program for Poor Coconut Producers in the Philippines: An Approach Using Panel Data and Propensity Score Matching Techniques
AbstractUsing panel data econometric techniques and propensity score matching procedures, this study evaluates the impact of the MAUNLAD agricultural development program - a program designed to help alleviate poverty in Philippine coconut-producing communities. Our results indicate that the program had a significant positive mean effect on the recipients' total net farm income. Moreover, the probability of being in poverty is shown to decrease when a poor coconut producer participates in the program. The program's emphasis on training, intercropping, and livestock integration, as well as the more participatory approach taken, contributed to the strong positive impact of the program.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2007)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
coconut farmers; panel data econometric techniques; poverty alleviation program; propensity score matching (PSM); Crop Production/Industries; International Development;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barbara Sianesi, 2001. "Propensity score matching," United Kingdom Stata Users' Group Meetings 2001 12, Stata Users Group, revised 23 Aug 2001.
- A. Smith, Jeffrey & E. Todd, Petra, 2005.
"Does matching overcome LaLonde's critique of nonexperimental estimators?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 125(1-2), pages 305-353.
- Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 2003. "Does Matching Overcome Lalonde's Critique of Nonexperimental Estimators?," University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity Working Papers 20035, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity.
- Jalan, Jyotsna & Ravallion, Martin, 1998.
"Are there dynamic gains from a poor-area development program?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 65-85, January.
- Jalan, Jyotsna & Ravallion, Martin, 1996. "Are there dynamic gains from a poor-area development program?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1695, The World Bank.
- Feder, Gershon & Murgai, Rinku & Quizon, Jaime B., 2003.
"Sending farmers back to school - the impact of farmer field schools in Indonesia,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3022, The World Bank.
- Gershon Feder & Rinku Murgai & Jaime B. Quizon, 2004. "Sending Farmers Back to School: The Impact of Farmer Field Schools in Indonesia," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(1), pages 45-62.
- Sascha O. Becker & Andrea Ichino, 2002. "Estimation of average treatment effects based on propensity scores," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(4), pages 358-377, November.
- Aragon, Corazon, 2000. "Coconut Program Area Research Planning and Prioritization," Discussion Papers DP 2000-31, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Heckman, James J & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Todd, Petra, 1998. "Matching as an Econometric Evaluation Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(2), pages 261-94, April.
- Paul Schultz, T., 2004. "School subsidies for the poor: evaluating the Mexican Progresa poverty program," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 199-250, June.
- Sanglestsawai, Santi & Rejesus, Roderick M. & Yorobe, Jose M., Jr., 2012. "Production Risk, Farmer Welfare, and Bt Corn in the Philippines," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124237, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Israel, Danilo C. & Briones, Roehlano M., 2014. "Enhancing Supply Chain Connectivity and Competitiveness of ASEAN Agricultural Products: Identifying Choke Points and Opportunities for Improvement," Discussion Papers DP 2014-07, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Boris Bravo-Ureta & William Greene & Daniel Solís, 2012. "Technical efficiency analysis correcting for biases from observed and unobserved variables: an application to a natural resource management project," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 55-72, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.