U.S. Meat Demand: Household Dynamics and Media Information Impacts
AbstractThis article uses national, quarterly data to examine U.S. meat demand using the Rotterdam model. We investigate the effect of multiple information indices linking different health concerns with diet, changes in household dynamics, and meat recall information. Medical journal articles linking iron, zinc, and protein with health and diet increase beef and poultry demand, whereas articles dealing with fat, cholesterol, and diet concerns reduce beef demand. Increasing consumption of food away from home enhances pork and poultry demand while reducing beef demand. Combined, these results provide a more complete and current understanding of the impact of multiple information factors faced by U.S. consumers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 35 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Atkins diet; female workforce; food away from home; food safety; health concerns; meat recalls; U.S. meat demand; Demand and Price Analysis; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety; Livestock Production/Industries;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Palma, Marco A. & Collart, Alba J. & Hall, Charles R., 2010.
"Repeat Buying Behavior for Ornamental Plants: A Consumer Profile,"
2010 Annual Meeting, February 6-9, 2010, Orlando, Florida
56332, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Palma, Marco A. & Hall, Charles R. & Collart, Alba J., 2011. "Repeat Buying Behavior for Ornamental Plants: A Consumer Profile," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 42(2), July.
- Lambert, Remy, 2012. "A Primer on the Economics of Supply Management and Food Supply Chains," Working Papers 125246, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
- Darko, Francis Addeah & Eales, James S., 2013. "Meat Demand in the US During and After the Great Recession," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150146, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Shang, Xia & Tonsor, Glynn, 2013. "Consumer Meat Safety Concerns: Impacts of Beef E. coli O157: H7 Recalls on Meat Consumption," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149794, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Tselepidakis, Elina, 2012. "Food Safety And The Demand For Meat Products," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124968, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.