Competition For U.S. Hard Wheat Characteristics
AbstractDiscounts and premiums for wheat quality factors at a specific location can be affected by the quality of wheat at other locations. We estimate the effects of protein and test weight levels of Kansas hard red winter and North Dakota dark northern spring wheat on the protein and test weight premiums of each other. Additionally, we determine the effect on premiums of protein and test weight and discounts of shrunken/broken and damaged kernels at different locations within each region from changes in wheat qualities at other locations within the same region. Results indicate that spatial competition was important for protein and test weight, both between the two wheat regions and within the same region.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (1998)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and Its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 239-53, January.
- Wilson, William W., 1989. "Differentiation And Implicit Prices In Export Wheat Markets," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(01), July.
- Junjie Wu & B. Wade Brorsen, 1995. "The Impact of Government Programs and Land Characteristics on Cropping Patterns," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 43(1), pages 87-104, 03.
- Stiegert, Kyle W. & Blanc, Jean-Pierre, 1997. "Japanese Demand For Wheat Protein Quantity And Quality," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(01), July.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Smith, Vincent H., 2009.
"Harvest-Time Protein Shocks and Price Adjustment in U.S. Wheat Markets,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(2), August.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Smith, Vincent H., 2005. "Harvest-Time Protein Shocks and Price Adjustment in U.S. Wheat Markets," Agricultural Marketing Policy Center Agricultural Marketing Policy Papers 29156, Montana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Economics.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Smith, Vincent H., 2005. "Harvest-Time Protein Shocks and Price Adjustments in U.S. Wheat Markets," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19173, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Stiegert, Kyle W. & Wang, Shinn-Shyr, 2003. "Imperfect Competition And Strategic Trade Theory: What Have We Learned," Working Papers 14589, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Parcell, Joseph L. & Stiegert, Kyle W., 2001. "Japanese Demand For Wheat Characteristics: A Market Share Approach," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36103, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Parcell, Joseph L. & Stiegert, Kyle W., 2003.
"Factors Affecting Wheat Proteins Premiums,"
92887, University of Missouri Columbia, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Marsh, Thomas L., 2005. "Economic substitution for US wheat food use by class," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(3), September.
- Balzer, Brian & Stiegert, Kyle W., 1999. "The European Union-United States Wheat Gluten Policy Dispute," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 30(2), July.
- Lavoie, Nathalie, 2001. "Price Discrimination In The Context Of Vertical Differentiation: A Modeling Approach For Wheat Exports," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20603, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.