Effects of Country-of-Origin Labeling on Meat Producers and Consumers
AbstractAlthough several studies have estimated the costs of country-of-origin labeling (COOL), no previous study has documented how these costs will be distributed across the livestock sector or how producer and consumer welfare will be affected. This analysis presents an equilibrium displacement model of the farm, wholesale, and retail markets for beef, pork, and poultry that documents how producers and consumers will be affected by COOL. Findings reveal that as the costs of COOL are shifted from the producer to the processor and retailer, producers are made increasingly better off while consumers are made increasingly worse off. Further, an increase in aggregate consumer demand of 2% to 3% is likely sufficient to offset lost producer welfare due to COOL costs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2004)
Issue (Month): 02 (August)
beef; country of origin; equilibrium displacement model; labeling; pork; poultry; Consumer/Household Economics;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Umberger, Wendy J. & Feuz, Dillon M. & Calkins, Chris R. & Sitz, Bethany M., 2003. "Country-Of-Origin Labeling Of Beef Products: U.S. Consumers' Perceptions," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 34(03), November.
- Cranfield, John A.L., 2002. "Optimal Advertising With Traded Raw And Final Goods: The Case Of Variable Proportions Technology," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(01), July.
- Plain, Ronald L. & Grimes, Glenn, 2003. "Benefits Of Cool To The Cattle Industry," Working Papers 26048, University of Missouri Columbia, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2003. "Estimating Consumer Willingness to Pay for Country-of-Origin Labeling," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), August.
- Hahn, William F. & Green, Richard D., 2000. "Joint Costs In Meat Retailing," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(01), July.
- Scozzafava, Gabriele & Casini, Leonardo & Marinelli, Nicola, 2012. "Modern Distribution vs. Specialised Shop: a Study on beef consumer behaviour," 2012 XX Convegno Annuale SIEA, Siracusa 130448, Italian Society of Agri-food Economics/Società Italiana di Economia Agro-Alimentare (SIEA).
- Awada, Lana & Yiannaka, Amalia, 2006. "Consumer purchasing decisions and welfare under country of origin. Labelling regulation," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10038, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chern, Wen S. & Chang, Chun-Yu, 2009. "Benefit Evaluation of the Country of Origin Labeling in Taiwan: Results from Auction Experiment," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49215, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Plastina, Alejandro S. & Giannakas, Konstantinos & Pick, Daniel H., 2008.
"Market and Welfare Effects of Mandatory Country-of-Origin Labeling in the US Specialty Crops Sector,"
2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida
6536, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Plastina, Alejandro S. & Giannakas, Konstantinos, 2007. "Market And Welfare Effects Of Mandatory Country-Of-Origin Labeling In The Us Specialty Crops Sector," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9735, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Anders, Sven & Caswell, Julie A., 2009.
"The Benefits and Costs of Proliferation of Geographical Labeling for Developing Countries,"
Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy,
Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 10(1).
- Sven Anders & Julie A. Caswell, 2008. "The Benefits and Costs of Proliferation of Geographical Labelling for Developing Countries," Working Papers 2008-7, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Resource Economics.
- Chung, Chanjin & Zhang, Tong & Peel, Derrell S., 2004. "Will Country-Of-Origin Labeling (Cool) Be 'Cool' For The U.S. Meat Industry?," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19934, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2007. "A choice experiment model for beef: What US consumer responses tell us about relative preferences for food safety, country-of-origin labeling and traceability," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 496-514, August.
- Chern, Wen S. & Chang, Chun-Yu, 2012. "Benefit evaluation of the country of origin labeling in Taiwan: Results from an auction experiment," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 511-519.
- Joseph, Siny & Lavoie, Nathalie & Caswell, Julie A., 2014. "Implementing COOL: Comparative welfare effects of different labeling schemes," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 14-25.
- Dinopoulos, Elias & Livanis, Grigorios & West, Carol, 2010. "Country of Origin Labeling (C.O.O.L.): How cool is it?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 575-589, October.
- de Mouzon, Olivier & Requillart, Vincent & Soler, Louis-Georges & Dallongeville, Jean & Dauchet, Luc, 2010.
"Are Fruit And Vegetable Stamp Policies Cost-Effective?,"
115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany
116416, European Association of Agricultural Economists;Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Dallongeville, Jean & Dauchet, Luc & de Mouzon, Olivier & Réquillart, Vincent & Soler, Louis-Georges, 2010. "Are Fruit and Vegetable Stamp Policies Cost Effective?," IDEI Working Papers 648, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Chern, Wen S. & Lin, Huei-Ching, 2011. "Analysis of Country of Origin Labeling for Food Products in Taiwan Using Auction Experiment with Tasting," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103219, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Kaitibie, Simeon & Omore, Amos & Rich, Karl & Kristjanson, Patti, 2010. "Kenyan Dairy Policy Change: Influence Pathways and Economic Impacts," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1494-1505, October.
- Wen Chern & Huei-Ching Lin, 2012. "Taiwanese Consumer Valuation of Country of Origin Labeling Using Auction Experiment with Tasting," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 184-198, June.
- Hanagriff, Roger D. & Rhoades, Ryan D. & Wilmeth, Doug, 2008. "Consumer Preferences in Purchasing Beef and the Values they Attribute to Branded Beef Products," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46854, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Joseph, Siny & Lavoie, Nathalie, 2008. "Effectiveness of COOL in the U.S. Seafood Industry," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6260, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Buhr, Brian L., 2010. "Economic impact of transitioning from gestation stalls to group pen housing in the U.S. pork industry," Staff Papers 61604, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Taylor, Mykel R. & Tonsor, Glynn T., 2013. "Revealed Demand for Country-of-Origin Labeling of Meat in the United States," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(2), August.
- Awada, Lana & Yiannaka, Amalia, 2012. "Consumer perceptions and the effects of country of origin labeling on purchasing decisions and welfare," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 21-30.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.