Environmental Regulation And Implications For Competitiveness In International Pork Trade
AbstractEnvironmental concerns linked to hog production are growing in the United States, Canada, and the European Union. New regulations controlling animal manure management are being imposed to address these concerns. This study determines that potential increases in U.S. and Canadian environmental regulation would have minimal effects on the relative competitiveness of pork exports for these countries. By contrast, more stringent European Union regulations have potential to significantly reduce EU competitiveness and contribute to the trend of increasing export market share for U.S. and Canadian pork products.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2002)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Environmental Economics and Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matthew T. Holt & Stanley R. Johnson, 1986.
"Supply Dynamics in the U.S. Hog Industry,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
86-wp12, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Matthew T. Holt & Stanley R. Johnson, 1988. "Supply Dynamics in the U.S. Hog Industry," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 36(2), pages 313-335, 07.
- Matthew T. Holt & Stanley R. Johnson, 1986. "Supply Dynamics in the U.S. Hog Industry," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 86-wp12, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Meilke, Karl D., 1989. "Modeling the Pattern of Structural Change in U.S. Meat Demand," Staff General Research Papers 11266, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Beghin, John C. & Metcalfe, Mark, 2000. "Environmental Regulation and Competitiveness in the Hog Industry: An International Perspective," Staff General Research Papers 5090, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Alston, Julian M, 1986. "The Effects of the CAP on International Trade in Poultry Meat," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 13(2), pages 217-31.
- Beghin, John C. & Blake Brown, A. & Hasyim Zaini, M., 1997.
"Impact of domestic content requirement on the US tobacco and cigarette industries,"
Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 201-212, January.
- Beghin, John C. & Brown, A. Blake & Zaini, M. Hasyim, 1997. "Impact of Domestic Content Requirement on the U.S. Tobacco and Cigarette Industries," Staff General Research Papers 1483, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Brewer, Clarence L. & Hayenga, Marvin L. & Kliebenstein, James, 1998. "Pork Production Costs: A Comparison of Major Pork Exporting Countries," Staff General Research Papers 1265, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Leuck, Dale J. & Haley, Stephen L. & Liapis, Peter S. & McDonald, Brad, 1995. "The EU Nitrate Directive and CAP Reform: Effects on Agricultural Production, Trade and Residual Soil Nitrogen," Foreign Agricultural Economic Report (FAER) 148007, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Colyer, Dale, 2004. "Environmental Regulations And Competitiveness," Working Papers 19100, West Virginia University, Department of Agricultural Resource Economics.
- Johansson, Robert C. & Kara, Erdal & Ribaudo, Marc, 2006. "On how environmental stringency influences BMP adoption," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21207, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Colyer, Dale, 2004. "Environmental Regulations and Agricultural Competitiveness," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 5(1).
- Wasylyniuk, Chad R. & Bessel, Kristan M. & Kerr, William A. & Hobbs, Jill E., 2003. "The Evolving International Trade Regime For Food Safety And Environmental Standards: Potential Opportunities And Constraints For Saskatchewan'S Beef Feedlot Industry," Reports 23937, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade.
- Colyer, Dale, 2003. "Agriculture and Environmental Issues in Free Trade Agreements," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 4(2).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.