Cost-Responsiveness of Conservation Practice Adoption: A Revealed Preference Approach
AbstractWhile there is current interest in reorienting agricultural policy toward environmental and resource conservation goals, relatively little is known about the influence of cost on conservation adoption decisions or about how farmers combine multiple practices into an overall conservation package. Using farmer survey data combined with information on standard unit installation costs, this study estimates latent demand models for seven on-farm conservation practices. All of the practices exhibit downward-sloping demand. Topographical variations in adoption conform to expectations. The estimation results suggest that cost sharing should have substantial effects on the adoption of several practices, and indicate strong complementarity among others.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2004)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
conservation technology adoption; cost-sharing; Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP); green payments; soil conservation; water quality protection; Environmental Economics and Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen M. Featherstone & Barry K. Goodwin, 1993. "Factors Influencing a Farmer's Decision to Invest in Long-Term Conservation Improvements," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(1), pages 67-81.
- Jeffrey H. Dorfman, 1996. "Modeling Multiple Adoption Decisions in a Joint Framework," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 547-557.
- Joseph C. Cooper & Russ W. Keim, 1996.
"Incentive Payments to Encourage Farmer Adoption of Water Quality Protection Practices,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 54-64.
- Cooper, Joseph C. & Keim, Russ, 1996. "Incentive payments to encourage farmer adoption of water quality protection practices," MPRA Paper 24779, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Meredith J. Soule & Abebayehu Tegene & Keith D. Wiebe, 2000. "Land Tenure and the Adoption of Conservation Practices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 993-1005.
- Caputo, Michael R, 1990. "Comparative Dynamics via Envelope Methods in Variational Calculus," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(4), pages 689-97, October.
- Feather, Peter M. & Amacher, Gregory S., 1994. "Role of information in the adoption of best management practices for water quality improvement," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 11(2-3), pages 159-170, December.
- Madhu Khanna, 2001. "Sequential Adoption of Site-Specific Technologies and its Implications for Nitrogen Productivity: A Double Selectivity Model," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 35-51.
- Allen, Douglas & Lueck, Dean, 1992. "Contract Choice in Modern Agriculture: Cash Rent versus Cropshare," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(2), pages 397-426, October.
- Luanne Lohr & Timothy A. Park, 1995. "Utility-Consistent Discrete-Continuous Choices in Soil Conservation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 71(4), pages 474-490.
- Cooper, Joseph C., 1997. "Combining Actual And Contingent Behavior Data To Model Farmer Adoption Of Water Quality Protection Practices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(01), July.
- Diane P. Dupont, 2009. "Cost-sharing Incentive Programs for Source Water Protection: The Grand Riverâ€™s Rural Water Quality Program," Working Papers 0905, Brock University, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2009.
- Bergtold, Jason S. & Duffy, Patricia A. & Hite, Diane & Raper, Randy L., 2012. "Demographic and Management Factors Affecting the Adoption and Perceived Yield Benefit of Winter Cover Crops in the Southeast," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 44(01), February.
- Bergtold, Jason S. & Duffy, Patricia A. & Hite, Diane & Raper, Randy L., 2008. "Demographic and Management Factors Affecting the Perceived Benefit of Winter Cover Crops in the Southeast," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6424, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Reeling, Carson J. & Weir, A.E. & Swinton, Scott M. & Hayes, R.C., 2012. "A comparative breakeven net return threshold to guide development of conservation technologies with application to perennial wheat," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124723, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Jolejole, Christina B. & Swinton, Scott M. & Robertson, G. Philip & Syswerda, Sara P., 2009. "Profitability and Environmental Stewardship for Row Crop Production: Are There Trade-offs?," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50920, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hand, Michael S. & Nickerson, Cynthia J., 2009. "The Role of Cost-Share Rates and Prices on the Size of Conservation Investments in EQIP," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49257, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa & Barkley, Andrew P. & Chacon-Cascante, Adriana & Kastens, Terry L., 2012. "The Motivation for Organic Grain Farming in the United States: Profits, Lifestyle, or the Environment?," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 44(02), May.
- Ribaudo, Marc & Delgado, Jorge & Hansen, LeRoy T. & Livingston, Michael J. & Mosheim, Roberto & Williamson, James M., 2011. "Nitrogen in Agricultural Systems: Implications for Conservation Policy," Economic Research Report 118022, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Obubuafo, Joyce & Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Paudel, Krishna P. & Kim, Seon-Ae, 2008. "Awareness of and Application to the Environmental Quality Incentives Program By Cowâ€“Calf Producers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(01), April.
- Claassen, Roger & Cattaneo, Andrea & Johansson, Robert, 2008. "Cost-effective design of agri-environmental payment programs: U.S. experience in theory and practice," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(4), pages 737-752, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.