Comparative Study Of The Determinants Of Capital Structure Of Quoted And Unquoted Agro-Based Firms In Nigeria
AbstractThe study examined the determinants of capital structure decision and compared the capital structure of quoted and unquoted agro-based firms in Nigeria. Data collected through a multi- stage random sampling from the financial statements of 28 quoted and 60 unquoted agro-based firms for the period 2005-2010 were analyzed using descriptive statistics, Z-test and Ordinary Least Square (OLS) regression. The result revealed significant differences in capital structure (long term debt and total debt use) between quoted and unquoted agro-based firms. Short-term debts constituted a higher proportion of total debts of both sampled groups. The regression result showed that firm size, asset structure andgrowth coefficients had significant positive relationships with both long and short term debt finance for both listed and unlisted agro-based firms respectively. Result further showed that age of firms, educational status of CEO, export status of firms, and gender of firm owners were positive and significantly related to long term debt for both listed and unlisted firms. Also, highly profitable firms depended on internally generated revenue, thereby lending credence to the pecking order theory (POT). Therefore, The study showed that pecking order theory dominated the financing behavior of agro-based firms in Nigeria while the agency cost argument was only relevant for listed agro-based firms. Hence, policies that would enhance the acquisition of tangible assets, encourage exportation, ensure appropriate record keeping and encourage the use of more long term finance in place of short-term finance should be pursued.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Niğde University, Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences in its journal International Journal of Food and Agricultural Economics (IJFAEC).
Volume (Year): 2 (2)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Short-term; long- term; debt; explanatory variable; Agribusiness; Political Economy; Productivity Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hovakimian, Armen & Hovakimian, Gayane & Tehranian, Hassan, 2004. "Determinants of target capital structure: The case of dual debt and equity issues," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 517-540, March.
- Chen, Jean J., 2004. "Determinants of capital structure of Chinese-listed companies," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(12), pages 1341-1351, December.
- Frank, Murray Z. & Goyal, Vidhan K., 2003. "Testing the pecking order theory of capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 217-248, February.
- Friend, Irwin & Lang, Larry H P, 1988. " An Empirical Test of the Impact of Managerial Self-interest on Corporate Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(2), pages 271-81, June.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995.
" What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-60, December.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994. "What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," NBER Working Papers 4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Wald, John K, 1999. "How Firm Characteristics Affect Capital Structure: An International Comparison," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(2), pages 161-87, Summer.
- James S. Ang, 1991. "Small Business Uniqueness and the Theory of Financial Management," Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, vol. 1(1), pages 1-13 , Spring.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.