Strategic Marketing Decisions for Organic Agricultural Producers
AbstractA group of organic agricultural producers facing a strategic decision is featured. If they decide to form an organization to market their produce jointly, they will have to select a distribution channel. This case presents the demand conditions, requirements, advantages, and disadvantages of different distribution channels for organic vegetables, both on a general level and as they relate to this particular group. The following channels are addressed: roadside stands, farmers' markets, distributors, retailers, restaurants, institutions, and processors. Study questions for use in an academic course or workshop are included.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA) in its journal International Food and Agribusiness Management Review.
Volume (Year): 10 (2007)
Issue (Month): 01 ()
organic agriculture; distribution channels; strategic management; Agribusiness; Marketing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kazmierczak, Tamra Kirkpatrick & Bell, James B., 1995. "A niche marketing guide for lamb cooperatives," Research Reports 49825, United States Department of Agriculture, Rural Development Business and Cooperative Programs.
- Dimitri, Carolyn & Oberholtzer, Lydia, 2006. "EU and U.S. Organic Markets Face Strong Demand Under Different Policies," Amber Waves, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, February.
- Dimitri, Carolyn & Greene, Catherine R., 2002. "Recent Growth Patterns In The U.S. Organic Foods Market," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33715, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Karen Klonsky & Laura Tourte, 1998. "Organic Agricultural Production in the United States: Debates and Directions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1119-1124.
- Phillips, Jon C. & Hays, Lauren, 2007. "Analyzing Resources for the Production of High-Value Agricultural Products in the California High Desert," Research Reports 7427, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, Center for Food Marketing and Agribusiness Solutions.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.