Competitive Analysis and Market Power of Chinaâ€™s Soybean Import Market
AbstractThis research conducts a competitive structure analysis of the Chinese soybean import market which leads to the hypothesis that Chinaâ€™s soybean importers may have stronger market power in Chinaâ€™s soybean import market. Then, this research develops and simultaneously estimates a two-country partial equilibrium trade model to test U.S.-China market power of soybean trade. The empirical result supports our hypothesis that Chinese soybean importers have stronger market power relative to U.S. soybean exporters. This Chinese market power can be countered by U.S. and South American companies through developing new and expanding existing markets for soybeans throughout the world and investing in Chinese soybean storage and crushing capacity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA) in its journal International Food and Agribusiness Management Review.
Volume (Year): 12 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Chinese soybean import market; competitive structure analysis; market power; two-country partial equilibrium trade model; International Relations/Trade; Marketing; Research Methods/ Statistical Methods; Q10; Q12; Q17;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chen, Wei & Marchant, Mary A. & Muhammad, Andrew, 2010. "China’s Soybean Imports — Price Impacts using a Production System Approach," 2010 Annual Meeting, February 6-9, 2010, Orlando, Florida 56528, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Nakajima, Toru, 2012. "Estimating Time Variation of Market Power: Case of U.S. Soybean Exports," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124775, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.