Eliciting And Valuing Market Preferences With Traditional Food Crops: The Case Of Chickpea In India
AbstractDuring the past decade the Indian chickpea industry underwent a dramatic structural shift following the implementation of market-oriented policies by the Government of India. This paper examines consumer attitudes to quality characteristics of chickpea in India. A linear hedonic price model is estimated using auction price and quality data of chickpea samples obtained from major markets in India. Empirical results indicate that specific physical quality characteristics and purity standards are important factors influencing the price of chickpea in India. Thus, there may be an incentive for domestic producers and sellers of chickpea Â– and exporting countries Â– to improve the quality of their product, if improvements in specific physical characteristics and purity can be obtained cost effectively. As trade prospects grow for regionally important food crops like chickpea and other pulses, it is essential that food managers, commodity exporters, and crop breeders have access to critical market information in order to assess the relative economic importance of preferred quality traits and plan their strategies accordingly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA) in its journal International Food and Agribusiness Management Review.
Volume (Year): 05 (2002)
Issue (Month): 01 ()
Crop Production/Industries; Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fredoun Z. Ahmadi-Esfahani & Roland G. Stanmore, 1994. "Values of Australian wheat and flour quality characteristics," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 529-536.
- Agbola, Frank W. & Bent, Martin J.M. & Kelley, Timothy G. & Rao, P. Parthasarathy, 2000. "Factors Influencing The Demand For Chickpea In India: Implications For Marketing And Promotion In The Indian Chickpea Market," 2000 Conference (44th), January 23-25, 2000, Sydney, Australia 123593, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Samikwa, Duncan D. & Brorsen, B. Wade & Sanders, Larry D., 1998. "Hedonic Prices Of Malawi Burley Tobacco," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 1(01).
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1981.
"Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 781-93, May.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1980. "Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses," Working Papers 378, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Wang, Zhigang & Mao, Yanna & Gale, Fred, 2008. "Chinese consumer demand for food safety attributes in milk products," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 27-36, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.