Computer And Internet Adoption On Large U.S. Farms
AbstractThe adoption of the personal computer and the Internet is studied within a sample of large U.S. farms. Factors such as age and education influence the adoption of both technologies. Likewise, strong relationships exist between the adoption of each technology and the sophistication of farm management and the complexity of the farm business. After controlling for computer adoption, the results suggest there remain several factors limiting Internet adoption. It appears that producers are unsure as to how the Internet can best be used to create value in their farm businesses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA) in its journal International Food and Agribusiness Management Review.
Volume (Year): 03 (2000)
Issue (Month): 03 ()
Farm Management; Research and Development/Tech Change/Emerging Technologies;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huffman, Wallace E & Mercier, Stephanie, 1991.
"Joint Adoption of Microcomputer Technologies: An Analysis of Farmers' Decisions,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 73(3), pages 541-46, August.
- Huffman, Wallace & Mercier, S., 1991. "Joint Adoption of Microcomputer Technologies: An Analysis of Farmers' Decisions," Staff General Research Papers 10989, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Gloy, Brent A. & Akridge, Jay T., 1999. "Segmenting The Commercial Producer Market For Agricultural Inputs," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21592, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Nuthall, Peter L. & Bishop-Hurley, G.J., 1995. "Farm Computer Uptake and Practices in New Zealand," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 63(02), August.
- Gloy, Brent A. & Akridge, Jay T., 1999. "Segmenting The Commercial Producer Marketplace For Agricultural Inputs," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 2(02).
- A. P. Fearne, 1990. "Communications In Agriculture: Results Of A Farmer Survey," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 371-380.
- Amponsah, William A., 1995. "Computer Adoption And Use Of Information Services By North Carolina Commercial Farmers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Stenberg, Peter L. & Morehart, Mitchell J., 2009. "Rural Broadband Internet Access Supply and Demand," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49361, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Adamides, G. & Stylianou, A., 2013. "ICT and Mobile Phone Use for Agricultural Knowledge Sharing by Cypriot Farmers," AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, Faculty of Economics and Management, vol. 5(2), June.
- Baer, Alexander G. & Brown, Cheryl, 2007. "Adoption of E-Marketing by Direct-Market Farms in the Northeastern United States," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 38(2), July.
- Baer, Alexander G. & Brown, Cheryl, 2006. "Adoption of E-Marketing by Direct Market Farms in the Northeastern U.S," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21320, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Arens, Ludwig & Plumeyer, Cord-Herwig & Theuvsen, Ludwig, 2011. "Akzeptanz von Informationssystemen durch Schweinemäster: Eine Kausalanalyse," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114482, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Khanal, Aditya R. & Mishra, Ashok K., 2013. "Assessing the Impact of Internet Access on Household Income and Financial Performance of Small Farms," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 143019, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Briggeman, Brian C. & Whitacre, Brian E., 2010. "Farming and the Internet: Reasons for Non-Use," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 39(3), October.
- Ferrer, Stuart R.D. & Schroeder, D.H. & Ortmann, Gerald F., 2003. "Internet Use And Factors Affecting Adoption Of Internet Applications By Sugarcane Farm Businesses In The Kwazulu-Natal Midlands," 2003 Annual Conference, October 2-3, 2003, Pretoria, South Africa 19078, Agricultural Economic Association of South Africa (AEASA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.