Rural Non-farm Livelihoods in Transition Economies: Emerging Issues and Policies
AbstractThis article reviews key conceptual issues related to the development of the rural non-farm economy (RNFE) in a transition context and analyses available empirical evidence on the role of RNFE during recovery from the transition recession. Growth in the RNFE in the transition countries took place during the recession transition, which shows that it may be distress driven, but the paper explores other factors which may be driving the RNFE. It looks at the RNFE in light of the factors driving income growth and inequality, i.e. endowments and institutions. It concludes that, although not uniform across transition countries, the RNFE should be seen as a component of a growth strategy rather than as a temporary â€œrefugeâ€ or survival one. The patterns of growth of the RNFE will closely follow those of general economic recovery as well as the developments in the agricultural sector itself.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division in its journal eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics.
Volume (Year): 03 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Viale delle Terme di Caracalla, 00100 Rome
Phone: +39(6) 57051
Fax: +39(6) 57053152
Web page: http://www.fao.org/es/esa/en/ejade.htm
More information through EDIRC
Transition economies; rural livelihoods; rural non-farm economy; rural poverty; rural development; Community/Rural/Urban Development;
Other versions of this item:
- Junior Davis, 2006. "Rural non-farm livelihoods in transition economies: emerging issues and policies," The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 3(2), pages 180-224.
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bryden, John & Bollman, Ray, 2000. "Rural employment in industrialised countries," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 185-197, March.
- Ashok K. Mishra & Barry K. Goodwin, 1997. "Farm Income Variability and the Supply of Off-Farm Labor," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 880-887.
- Macours, Karen & Swinnen, Johan F M, 2002. "Patterns of Agrarian Transition," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(2), pages 365-94, January.
- Johan F. M. Swinnen & Ayo Heinegg, 2002.
"On the political economy of land reforms in the former Soviet Union,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(7), pages 1019-1031.
- Johan Swinnen & Ayo Heinegg, 2002. "On the Political Economy of Land Reforms in the Former Soviet Union," LICOS Discussion Papers 11502, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Balcombe, K. G. & Davis, J. R., 1996. "An application of cointegration theory in the estimation of the almost ideal demand system for food consumption in Bulgaria," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 47-60, September.
- Thomas Reardon & J. Edward Taylor & Kostas Stamoulis & Peter Lanjouw & Arsenio Balisacan, 2000. "Effects of Non-Farm Employment on Rural Income Inequality in Developing Countries: An Investment Perspective," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 266-288.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Reardon, Thomas, 2000. "Asset, Activity, And Income Diversification Among African Agriculturalists: Some Practical Issues," Working Papers 14734, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Woldehanna, Tassew & Lansink, Alfons Oude & Peerlings, Jack, 2000. "Off-farm work decisions on Dutch cash crop farms and the 1992 and Agenda 2000 CAP reforms," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 163-171, March.
- Junior Davis & Angela Gaburici, 2005. "Non-farm employment in small-scale enterprises in Romania: policy and development issues," Development and Comp Systems 0510019, EconWPA.
- Franz Heidues & Junior R. Davis & Gertrud Schrieder, 1997.
"Agricultural Transformation and Implications for Designing Rural Financial Policies in Romania,"
CERT Discussion Papers
9722, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Heidhues, Franz & Davis, Junior R & Schrieder, Gertrud, 1998. "Agricultural Transformation and Implications for Designing Rural Financial Policies in Romania," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(3), pages 351-72.
- Sarris, Alexander H & Doucha, Tomas & Mathijs, Erik, 1999. "Agricultural Restructuring in Central and Eastern Europe: Implications for Competitiveness and Rural Development," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(3), pages 305-29, August.
- Csaki, S. & Nash, J., 1998. "The Agrarian Economies of Central and Eastern Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States. Situation and Perspectives, 1997," World Bank - Discussion Papers 387, World Bank.
- Lerman, Z. & Brooks, K. & Csaki, C., 1994. "Land Reform and Fram Restructuring in Ukraine," World Bank - Discussion Papers 270, World Bank.
- Traikova, Diana, 2013. "Determinants of non-farm entrepreneurial intentions in a transitional context: Evidence from rural Bulgaria," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 72, number 72, July.
- Rusali, Mirela, 2009. "Socio-Economic Resource and Structures for the Sustainable Development of Rural Economy," Agricultural Economics and Rural Development, Institute of Agricultural Economics, vol. 6(2), pages 199-216.
- George Kwadwo Anane & Patrick Brandful Cobbinah & Job Kwame Manu, 2013. "Sustainability of Small and Medium Scale Enterprises in Rural Ghana: The Role of Microfinance Institutions," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 3(8), pages 1003-1017, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.