Food Security and Nutrition in Bangladesh: Progress and Determinants
AbstractFor Bangladesh food security was synonymous with achieving self-sufficiency in rice production and stabilization in rice prices. The country has made good progress in increasing rice production through technological progress, facilitated by private sector investment in small scale irrigation. But, it is difficult to sustain the progress made in view of the growing pressure of population on scarce land resources. Domestic food grain production remains susceptible to floods and droughts thereby perpetuating the threat of major production shortfalls, inadequate food availability, and vulnerability from fluctuation in prices. The availability of other foods has not increased, and the progress in nutritional outcome has remained slow. Forty percent of the population lives below the poverty line, and income inequality has been worsening. This paper assesses the trends in factors that affect food production, availability of food and their impact on nutrition outcomes. It also probes into the trends in poverty and distribution of income and access to food through markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division in its journal eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics.
Volume (Year): 02 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Viale delle Terme di Caracalla, 00100 Rome
Phone: +39(6) 57051
Fax: +39(6) 57053152
Web page: http://www.fao.org/es/esa/en/ejade.htm
More information through EDIRC
Bangladesh; food security; nutrition; poverty; safety nets; natural disasters; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety; Food Security and Poverty;
Other versions of this item:
- Mahabub Hossain & Firdousi Naher & Quazi Shahabuddin, 2005. "Food Security and Nutrition in Bangladesh: Progress and Determinants," The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 2(2), pages 103-132.
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dorosh, Paul A. & Haggblade, Steven, 1997. "Shifting sands: The changing case for monetizing project food aid in Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2093-2104, December.
- Sen, Binayak, 2003. "Drivers of Escape and Descent: Changing Household Fortunes in Rural Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 513-534, March.
- Shahabuddin, Quazi & Dorosh, Paul A., 2002.
"Comparative advantage in Bangladesh crop production,"
MSSD discussion papers
47, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Shahabuddin, Quazi & Dorosh, Paul A., 2002. "Comparative advantage in Bangladesh crop production," MTID discussion papers 47, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nahar, Bodrun & Siriwardana, Mahinda, 2009. "Trade Liberalisation and Poverty in Bangladesh: A General Equilibrium Approach," 2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia 47629, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Namara, Regassa E. & Hanjra, Munir A. & Castillo, Gina E. & Ravnborg, Helle Munk & Smith, Lawrence & Van Koppen, Barbara, 2010. "Agricultural water management and poverty linkages," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 97(4), pages 520-527, April.
- Bose, Manik Lal & Dey, Madan Mohan, 2007. "Food and Nutritional Security in Bangladesh: Going beyond Carbohydrate Counts," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 20(2).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.