Short-Run And Long-Run Efficiencies Of New York Dairy Farms
AbstractShort-run and long-run technical and allocative efficiencies were computed for 395 New York dairy farms using data envelopment or nonparametric procedures on 1990 Dairy Farm Business Summary data. The farms were, on average, more allocatively efficient in the short run than in the long run, but were more technically efficient in the long run than in the short run. Stanchion barns were as efficient as milking parlors, and milking more than two times per day did not increase efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association in its journal Agricultural and Resource Economics Review.
Volume (Year): 22 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tauer, Loren W. & Belbase, Krishna P., 1987. "Technical Efficiency Of New York Dairy Farms," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 16(1), April.
- Bauer, Paul W., 1990. "Recent developments in the econometric estimation of frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 39-56.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Aly, Hassan Y, et al, 1990. "Technical, Scale, and Allocative Efficiencies in U.S. Banking: An Empirical Investigation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 211-18, May.
- del Corral, Julio & Alvarez, Antonio & Tauer, Loren W., 2009.
"Detecting Technological Heterogeneity in New York Dairy Farms,"
51143, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- del Corral, Julio & Alvarez, Antonio & Tauer, Loren W., 2009. "Detecting Technological Heterogeneity in New York Dairy Farms," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49293, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Hansson, Helena, 2007. "Strategy factors as drivers and restraints on dairy farm performance: Evidence from Sweden," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 726-737, June.
- Alvarez, Antonio & del Corral, Julio & Tauer, Loren W., 2012. "Modeling Unobserved Heterogeneity in New York Dairy Farms: One-Stage versus Two-Stage Models," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 41(3), December.
- Wossink, Ada & Denaux, Zulal S., 2006. "Environmental and cost efficiency of pesticide use in transgenic and conventional cotton production," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 90(1-3), pages 312-328, October.
- Byma, Justin P. & Tauer, Loren W., 2007. "Farm Inefficiency Resulting from the Missing Management Input," Working Papers 127008, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Moreira, Victor H. & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Dunner, Roberto & Vidal, Ricardo, 2012. "Total Factor Productivity Change in Dairy Production in Southern Chile: Is Farm Size Significant?," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126895, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Karagiannis, Giannis & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 2001.
"Self-Dual Stochastic Production Frontiers And Decomposition Of Output Growth: The Case Of Olive-Growing Farms In Greece,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 30(2), October.
- Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, . "Self-Dual Stochastic Production Frontiers and Decomposition of Output Growth: The Case of Olive Growing Farms in Greece," Working Papers 9913, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Ford, Stephen A. & Shonkwiler, John Scott, 1994. "The Effect Of Managerial Ability On Farm Financial Success," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 23(2), October.
- Tauer, Loren W., 1994. "Do New York Dairy Farmers Maximize Profits?," Staff Papers 121318, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.