The Effect of Label Information on U.S. Farmersâ€™ Herbicide Choices
AbstractThis paper analyzes the effect of labeling information on U.S. farmersâ€™ herbicide choices. Herbicide choices reported by U.S. soybean farmers are used to estimate farmer preferences for different herbicide attributes using a mixed logit model. Our results indicate that statements displayed on pesticide labels regarding risks to human health and the environment are important components in herbicide selection. We find that farmers are willing to pay an average of $27 per acre to avoid using an herbicide labeled with the word â€œWarningâ€ and $38 per acre to avoid using an herbicide labeled with the word â€œDanger.â€
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association in its journal Agricultural and Resource Economics Review.
Volume (Year): 41 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
mixed logit model; WTP to avoid human and environmental risk; Agribusiness; Agricultural and Food Policy; Demand and Price Analysis; Environmental Economics and Policy; Health Economics and Policy; Production Economics;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Hensher & Nina Shore & Kenneth Train, 2005. "Households’ Willingness to Pay for Water Service Attributes," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 32(4), pages 509-531, December.
- Chiara M. Travisi & Peter Nijkamp & Raymond J. G. M. Florax, 2004.
"A Meta-Analysis of the Willingness to Pay for Reductions in Pesticide Risk Exposure,"
2004.101, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Raymond J. G. M. Florax & Chiara M. Travisi & Peter Nijkamp, 2005. "A meta-analysis of the willingness to pay for reductions in pesticide risk exposure," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(4), pages 441-467, December.
- Florax, Raymond J.G.M. & Travisi, Chiara M. & Nijkamp, Peter, 2005. "A Meta-Analysis of the Willingness to Pay for Reductions in Pesticide Risk Exposure," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19524, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Lohr, Luanne & Park, Timothy A. & Wetzstein, Michael E., 1998.
"Voluntary Economic And Environmental Risk Tradeoffs In Crop Protection Decisions,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 27(1), April.
- Lohr, Luanne & Park, Timothy A. & Wetzstein, Michael E., 1997. "Voluntary Economic And Environmental Risk Tradeoffs In Crop Protection Decisions," Faculty Series 16654, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- David Hensher & William Greene, 2003. "The Mixed Logit model: The state of practice," Transportation, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 133-176, May.
- Owens, Nicole N. & Swinton, Scott M. & van Ravenswaay, Eileen O., 1998. "Farmer Willingness To Pay For Herbicide Safety Characteristics," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20942, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Bryan J. Hubbell & Gerald A. Carlson, 1998. "Effects of Insecticide Attributes on Within-Season Insecticide Product and Rate Choices: The Case of U.S. Apple Growers," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(2), pages 382-396.
- Golan, Elise H. & Kuchler, Fred & Mitchell, Lorraine, 2000. "Economics Of Food Labeling," Agricultural Economics Reports 34069, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Carpio, Carlos E. & Sydorovych, Olha & Marra, Michele C., 2007. "Relative Importance of Environmental Attributes Using Logistic Regression," 2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama 34846, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Dan Rigby & Mike Burton, 2006. "Modeling Disinterest and Dislike: A Bounded Bayesian Mixed Logit Model of the UK Market for GM Food," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 33(4), pages 485-509, 04.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.