Effects Of Mineral Development On The Economy
AbstractR. G. Gregory's article on the effects of mineral discoveries on the Australian economy (Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, August 1976) has attracted much attention. While the partial-equilibrium nature of his model has enabled it to be absorbed readily, it has the usual theoretical limitations of such analyses. Allowing for general equilibrium repercussions, but still accepting his general assumptions, some of Gregory's conclusions regarding the impact of new mineral discoveries require modification or extension: (a) Although production of goods other than minerals can be expected to decline, the production of some goods in this category may rise; (b) A social gain is still possible even if outputs of other goods do not change; (c) While the price of non-tradeable goods can be expected to rise, production of non-tradeables may increase or decrease. We also show the magnified effect of mineral discoveries on the rents of factors specific to minerals, and the squeeze exerted on the rents of factors specific to other tradeables.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (1977)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Community/Rural/Urban Development; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Freebairn, John, 2013. "Mining Booms and the Exchange Rate," 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia 152152, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Kenneth W. Clements & Renee Fry, 2006.
"Commodity Currencies And Currency Commodities,"
CAMA Working Papers
2006-19, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Qiang Ye, 2006. "Commodity Booms and Their Impacts on the Western Australian Economy: The Iron Ore Case," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 06-18, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Daniel Lederman & William F. Maloney, 2007. "Natural Resources : Neither Curse nor Destiny," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7183, February.
- Martin, Will, 2005. "Outgrowing resource dependence theory and some recent developments," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3482, The World Bank.
- Ye, Qiang, 2008. "Commodity booms and their impacts on the Western Australian economy: The iron ore case," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 83-101, June.
- W. Max Corden, 2012. "The Dutch Disease in Australia: Policy Options for a Three-Speed Economy," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2012n05, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Will Martin, 2002. "Outgrowing Resource Dependence: Theory and Evidence," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 143, Central Bank of Chile.
- Peter Warr, 2006.
"The Gregory Thesis Visits the Tropics,"
Departmental Working Papers
2006-03, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Clements, Kenneth W. & Ahammad, Helal & Qiang, Ye, 1996. "New mining and mineral-processing projects in Western Australia: Effects of employment and the macro-economy," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 293-346, December.
- João Sousa Andrade & António Portugal Duarte, 2013. "The Dutch Disease in the Portuguese Economy," GEMF Working Papers 2013-05, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Stoeckel, Andrew B., 1979. "Some General Equilibrium Effects Of Mining Growth On The Economy," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 23(01), April.
- Clements, Kenneth & Lan, Yihui & Roberts, John, 2008.
"Exchange-rate economics for the resources sector,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 102-117, June.
- Pandey, Sushil & Piggott, Roley R. & MacAulay, T. Gordon, 1982. "The Elasticity Of Aggregate Australian Agricultural Supply: Estimates And Policy Implications," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 26(03), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.