Changes in regional inequality in rural China: decomposing the Gini index by income sources
AbstractA new method is proposed to decompose inequality changes as measured by the Gini index into structural effects, real inequality effects and interactive effects. Application of the method to updated Chinese data reveals that structural effects represent the driving force underlying the increasing trend in regional income inequality in rural China. Policy implications are explored. In addition to these contributions, considerable efforts are made to construct the income data used in the article. Pitfalls in measuring income inequality in rural China are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 45 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Basmann, R. L. & Hayes, K. J. & Slottje, D. J. & Johnson, J. D., 1990. "A general functional form for approximating the Lorenz curve," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 77-90.
- Dennis Tao Yang, 1999. "Urban-Biased Policies and Rising Income Inequality in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 306-310, May.
- Hussain, Athar & Lanjouw, Peter & Stern, Nicholas, 1994. "Income inequalities in China: Evidence from household survey data," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(12), pages 1947-1957, December.
- Nygard, Fredrik & Sandstrom, Arne, 1989. "Income inequality measures based on sample surveys," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 81-95, September.
- Lerman, Robert I & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1985. "Income Inequality Effects by Income," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(1), pages 151-56, February.
- Chen, Jian & Fleisher, Belton M., 1996. "Regional Income Inequality and Economic Growth in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 141-164, April.
- Knight, John & Song, Lina, 1993.
"The Spatial Contribution to Income Inequality in Rural China,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 17(2), pages 195-213, June.
- Knight, J. & Song, L., 1990. "The Spatial Contribution To Income Inequality In Rural China," Economics Series Working Papers 99106, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Dagum, Camilo, 1990. "On the relationship between income inequality measures and social welfare functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 91-102.
- Wan, Guanghua & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2006. "Rising inequality in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 651-653, December.
- Wan, Guanghua & Zhou, Zhangyue, 2004.
"Income Inequality in Rural China: Regression-based Decomposition Using Household Data,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Guanghua Wan & Zhangyue Zhou, 2005. "Income Inequality in Rural China: Regression-based Decomposition Using Household Data," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 107-120, 02.
- Gravier-Rymaszewska, Joanna & Tyrowicz, Joanna & Kochanowicz, Jacek, 2010.
"Intra-provincial inequalities and economic growth in China,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 237-258, September.
- Jacek Kochanowicz & Joanna Rymaszewska & Joanna Tyrowicz, 2008. "Intra-Provincial Inequalities and Economic Growth in China," Working Papers 2008-10, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Kochanowicz, Jacek & Rymaszewska, Joanna & Tyrowicz, Joanna, 2008. "Intra-Provincial Inequalities and Economic Growth in China," MPRA Paper 15044, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joshi, Niraj Prakash & Maharjan, Keshav Lall & Piya, Luni, 2010. "Poverty and Food Insecurity in Nepal A Review," MPRA Paper 35387, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gu, Xinhua & Tam, Pui Sun, 2013. "The saving–growth–inequality triangle in China," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 850-857.
- Joshi, Niraj Prakash & Maharjan, Keshav Lall, 2008. "A Study on Rural Poverty Using Inequality Decomposition in Western Hills of Nepal: A Case of Gulmi District," MPRA Paper 35386, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zhang Yuan & Guanghua Wan & Niny Khor, 2012. "The rise of middle class in rural China," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(1), pages 36-51, February.
- Magalhaes, Eduardo & Diao, Xinshen, 2009. "Productivity convergence in Brazil: The case of grain production," IFPRI discussion papers 857, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Wan, Guanghua, 2006. "Poverty Accounting by Factor Components: With an Empirical Illustration Using Chinese Data," Working Paper Series RP2006/63, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Guanghua Wan & Ming Lu & Zhao Chen, 2007.
"Globalization And Regional Income Inequality: Empirical Evidence From Within China,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 53(1), pages 35-59, 03.
- Wan, Guanghua & Lu, Ming & Chen, Zhao, 2006. "Globalization and Regional Income Inequality: Empirical evidence from within China," Working Paper Series RP2006/139, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Maharjan, Keshav Lall & Joshi, Niraj Prakash, 2007. "A Poverty Analysis in Baitadi District, Rural Far Western Hills of Nepal: An Inequality Decomposition Analysis," MPRA Paper 35384, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wan, Guanghua, 2002. "Regression-based Inequality Decomposition: Pitfalls and a Solution Procedure," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Wan, Guang Hua, 2005. "Convergence in food consumption in Rural China: Evidence from household survey data," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 90-102.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.