Price or politics? An investigation of the causes of expropriation
AbstractExpropriations of foreign direct investment in developing countries are typically blamed on political and economic crises in those countries. Developing a new database of expropriations in the minerals sectors of developing country exporters, I show that expropriations were correlated with mineral price booms and that democratic governments were more likely to expropriate. No link is found between expropriations and political or economic crises, except at independence. A better explanation of expropriation would be opportunistic behaviour by host governments when profits of investments are high. In two developed countries, Australia and Canada, expropriations are also found to occur during price booms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 50 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
expropriation; foreign direct investment; natural resources; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schnitzer, Monika, 1999.
"Expropriation and control rights: A dynamic model of foreign direct investment,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 17(8), pages 1113-1137, November.
- Schnitzer, Monika, 1998. "Expropriation and Control Rights: A Dynamic Model of Foreign Direct Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1891, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Picht, Hartmut & Stuven, Volker, 1991. " Expropriation of Foreign Direct Investments: Empirical Evidence and Implications for the Debt Crisis," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 69(1), pages 19-38, February.
- Thomas, J. & Worral, T., 1991.
"Foreign Direcyt Investment and the Risk of Expropriation,"
9126, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Thomas, Jonathan & Worrall, Tim, 1994. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Risk of Expropriation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 81-108, January.
- Thomas, J. & Worrall, T., 1990. "Foreign Direct Investment And The Risk Of Expropriation," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 342, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Thomas, Jonathan & Worrall, Tim, 1990. "Foreign direct investment and the risk of expropriation," Kiel Working Papers 411, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Thomas, J. & Worrall, T., 1991. "Foreign direct investment and the risk of expropriation," Discussion Paper 1991-26, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Garnaut, Ross & Clunies Ross, Anthony, 1975. "Uncertainty, Risk Aversion and the Taxing of Natural Resource Projects," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 85(338), pages 272-87, June.
- Randall J Jones, 1984. "Empirical Models of Political Risks in U.S. Oil Production Operations in Venezuela," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 15(1), pages 81-95, March.
- Andrew Atkeson, 2010.
"International lending with moral hazard and risk of repudiation,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
200, David K. Levine.
- Atkeson, Andrew, 1991. "International Lending with Moral Hazard and Risk of Repudiation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 1069-89, July.
- Jonathan Eaton & Mark Gersovitz, 1984.
"A Theory of Expropriation and Deviations From Perfect Capital Mobility,"
NBER Working Papers
0972, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Gersovitz, Mark, 1984. "A Theory of Expropriation and Deviations from Perfect Capital Mobility," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(373), pages 16-40, March.
- Robert T. Deacon & Henning Bohn, 2000.
"Ownership Risk, Investment, and the Use of Natural Resources,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 526-549, June.
- Bohn, Henning & Deacon, Robert, 1997. "Ownership Risk, Investment, and the Use of Natural Resources," Discussion Papers dp-97-20, Resources For the Future.
- Stephen J Kobrin, 1979. "Political Risk: A Review and Reconsideration," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 10(1), pages 67-80, March.
- Harald Knudsen, 1974. "Explaining the National Propensity to Expropriate: An Ecological Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 5(1), pages 51-71, March.
- Raff, Horst, 1992.
"A model of expropriation with asymmetric information,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 245-265, November.
- Raff, H, 1991. "A Model of Expropriation with Asymetric Information," Cahiers de recherche 9105, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde, 1993. "Reputation as a Mechanism Alleviating Opportunistic Host Government Behavior against MNEs," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Clarke, G. & Groff, A. & Keefer , P. & Walsh, P., 2001. "New tools in comparative political economy: The database of political institutions," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125517, Tilburg University.
- Cole, Harold L. & English, William B., 1991. "Expropriation and direct investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3-4), pages 201-227, May.
- Konrad, Kai A. & Kovenock, Dan, 2009.
"Competition for FDI with vintage investment and agglomeration advantages,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 230-237, November.
- Konrad, Kai A. & Kovenock, Dan, 2008. "Competition for FDI with vintage investment and agglomeration advantages," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2008-09, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Kai A. Konrad & Dan Kovenock, 2008. "Competition for FDI with vintage investment and agglomeration advantages," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 1210, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Kai A. Konrad & Dan Kovenoch, 2009. "Competition for FDI with vintage investment and agglomeration advantages," Working Papers 2009/18, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Konrad, Kai A & Kovenock, Dan, 2008. "Competition for FDI with Vintage Investment and Agglomeration Advantages," CEPR Discussion Papers 6740, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James L. Smith, 2012. "Issues in Extractive Resource Taxation: A Review of Research Methods and Models," IMF Working Papers 12/287, International Monetary Fund.
- Desai, Mihir A. & Fritz Foley, C. & Hines Jr., James R., 2008.
"Capital structure with risky foreign investment,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 534-553, June.
- Lahimer, Noomen, 2009. "La contribution des investissements directs étrangers à la réduction de la pauvreté en Afrique subsaharienne," Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University, number 123456789/1167 edited by Goaied, Mohamed & Bienaymé, Alain, 06.
- Philipp an de Meulen, 2011. "Labor Heterogeneity and the Risk of Expropriation in Less Developed Countries," Ruhr Economic Papers 0298, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Roberto Chang & Constantino Hevia & Norman Loayza, 2010.
"Privatization and Nationalization Cycles,"
NBER Working Papers
16126, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian Velasquez-Donaldson, 2007. "Analysis of the Hydrocarbon Sector in Bolivia: How are the Gas and Oil Revenues Distributed?," Development Research Working Paper Series 06/2007, Institute for Advanced Development Studies.
- Christensen, Jonas Gade, 2011. "Democracy and Expropriations," Working Papers in Economics 06/11, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Luca Di Corato, 2010.
"Profit Sharing under the Threat of Nationalization,"
2010.5, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Di Corato, Luca, 2013. "Profit sharing under the threat of nationalization," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 295-315.
- Di Corato, Luca, 2010. "Profit Sharing under the Threat of Nationalization," Working Papers 58292, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.