Retrospectives: Trouble in the Inaugural Issue of the American Economic Review: The Cross/Eaves Controversy
AbstractThe papers from the first year of the American Economic Review are included in the Archives of the American Economic Association. While researching the early years of the AEA, Ann Mari May came across a folder marked "Controversies, Criticisms, etc."-which stood out in the midst of a review of AEA minutes and reports. This folder included a bulky file on what AER Editor Davis Rich Dewey would come to refer to as the "Cross/Eaves Controversy"-a controversy that, according to a letter he wrote, would give him "no end of trouble." The trouble erupted with a book review that appeared in the first issue of the American Economic Review. The review, written by Ira Cross, addressed a book by Lucile Eaves entitled A History of California Labor Legislation. The controversy that ensued illustrates the eternally fascinating interaction of the reviewer and the reviewed and casts a revealing light on the era's standards and rituals of scholarly conduct, on the drawing of disciplinary boundaries as economics became a more distinct academic discipline, and on the differing treatment of men and women in the academic life of the time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal Journal of Economic Perspectives.
Volume (Year): 23 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (Summer)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A14 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Sociology of Economics
- B19 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Other
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Benno Torgler & Marco Piatti, 2011.
"A Century of American Economic Review,"
2011.27, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Torgler, Benno & Piatti, Marco, 2011. "A Century of American Economic Review," Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics, Working Paper Series qt6h59v4m6, Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics.
- Benno Torgler & Marco Piatti, 2011. "A Century of American Economic Review," CREMA Working Paper Series 2011-04, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Benno Torgler & Marco Piatti, 2011. "A Century of American Economic Review," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 266, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.