AbstractFinancial advice could play an essential role in well-functioning markets for retail financial products, given that many consumers find it difficult to evaluate the complex products on offer. However, conflicts of interest, which are pervasive in some parts of the industry, can turn advice into a curse rather than a blessing for consumers, especially when consumers are not sufficiently wary. Through a simple model of financial advice, we overview the pros and cons of various policy interventions, such as imposing mandatory disclosure, banning commissions, and regulating contract cancellation terms. (JEL D14, D18, G21, G28)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal Journal of Economic Literature.
Volume (Year): 50 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D14 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Saving; Personal Finance
- D18 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Protection
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Annamaria Lusardi & Olivia S. Mitchell, 2006.
"Baby Boomer Retirement Security: The Roles of Planning, Financial Literacy, and Housing Wealth,"
CeRP Working Papers
54, Center for Research on Pensions and Welfare Policies, Turin (Italy).
- Lusardi, Annamaria & Mitchell, Olivia S., 2007. "Baby Boomer retirement security: The roles of planning, financial literacy, and housing wealth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 205-224, January.
- Annamaria Lusardi & Olivia S. Mitchell, 2006. "Baby Boomer Retirement Security: the Roles of Planning, Financial Literacy, and Housing Wealth," NBER Working Papers 12585, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Annamaria Lusardi & Olivia S. Mitchell, 2006. "Baby Boomer Retirement Security: The Roles of Planning, Financial Literacy, and Housing Wealth," Working Papers wp114, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Lusardi, Annamaria & Mitchell, Olivia S., 2006. "Baby boomer retirement security: The roles of planning, financial literacy, and Housing wealth," CFS Working Paper Series 2006/20, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Andreas Hackethal & Michael Haliassos & Tullio Jappelli, 2009.
"Financial Advisors: A Case of Babysitters?,"
CSEF Working Papers
219, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 03 Mar 2011.
- Hackethal, Andreas & Haliassos, Michalis & Jappelli, Tullio, 2009. "Financial Advisors: A Case of Babysitters?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7235, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hackethal, Andreas & Haliassos, Michael & Jappelli, Tullio, 2009. "Financial advisors: A case of babysitters?," CFS Working Paper Series 2009/04, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Sendhil Mullainathan & Markus Noeth & Antoinette Schoar, 2012. "The Market for Financial Advice: An Audit Study," NBER Working Papers 17929, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roman Inderst & Marco Ottaviani, 2012. "Competition through Commissions and Kickbacks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(2), pages 780-809, April.
- Carlin, Bruce I., 2009. "Strategic price complexity in retail financial markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(3), pages 278-287, March.
- Cynthia J. Pahl, 2007. "A compilation of state mortgage broker laws and regulations, 1996-2006," Community Affairs Report 2007-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Santosh Anagol & Shawn Cole & Shayak Sarkar, 2012. "Understanding the Advice of Commissions-Motivated Agents: Evidence from the Indian Life Insurance Market," Harvard Business School Working Papers 12-055, Harvard Business School, revised Jan 2013.
- Butler, Jeff & Giuliano, Paola & Guiso, Luigi, 2012.
"Trust and Cheating,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9202, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeffrey V. Butler & Paola Giuliano & Luigi Guiso, 2012. "Trust and Cheating," NBER Working Papers 18509, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Butler, Jeffrey V. & Giuliano, Paola & Guiso, Luigi, 2012. "Trust and Cheating," IZA Discussion Papers 6961, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jeffrey Butler & Paola Giuliano & Luigi Guiso, 2012. "Trust and Cheating," EIEF Working Papers Series 1213, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Oct 2012.
- Salvatore Piccolo & Giovanni W. Puopolo & Luis Vasconcelos, 2013. "Non-Exclusive Financial Advice," CSEF Working Papers 347, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Dahlquist, Magnus & Martinez, Jose Vincente & Soderlind, Paul, . "Individual Investor Activity and Performance," Working Papers on Finance 1408, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.