Search in Asset Markets: Market Structure, Liquidity, and Welfare
AbstractThis paper investigates how market structure affects efficiency and several dimensions of liquidity in an asset market. To this end, we generalize the search-theoretic model of financial intermediation of Darrell Duffie et al. (2005) to allow for entry of dealers and unrestricted asset holdings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal American Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 97 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Other versions of this item:
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2007. "Search in asset markets: market structure, liquidity, and welfare," Working Paper 0701, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Darrell Duffie & Nicolae Garleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2004.
NBER Working Papers
10816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James P. Weston, 2000. "Competition on the Nasdaq and the Impact of Recent Market Reforms," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2565-2598, December.
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2006.
"Search in asset markets,"
375, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Michael J. Barclay & William G. Christie & Jeffrey H. Harris & Eugene Kandel & Paul H. Schultz, 1999. "Effects of Market Reform on the Trading Costs and Depths of Nasdaq Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 1-34, 02.
- Pierre-Olivier Weill & Guillaume Rocheteau & Ricardo Lagos, 2007.
"Crashes and Recoveries in Illiquid Markets,"
2007 Meeting Papers
981, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2008. "Crashes and Recoveries in Illiquid Markets," NBER Working Papers 14119, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2007. "Crashes and recoveries in illiquid markets," Working Paper 0708, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Gara M. Afonso, 2008.
"Liquidity and congestion,"
349, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Williamson, Stephen D. & Wright, Randall, 2010.
"New Monetarist Economics: Models,"
21030, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ricardo Lagos, 2008. "The Research Agenda: Ricardo Lagos on Liquidity and the Search Theory of Money," EconomicDynamics Newsletter, Review of Economic Dynamics, vol. 10(1), November.
- Ricardo Lagos & Gara Afonson, 2011.
"Trade Dynamics in the Market for Federal Funds,"
2011 Meeting Papers
314, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Lagos, Ricardo & Rocheteau, Guillaume & Weill, Pierre-Olivier, 2011.
"Crises and liquidity in over-the-counter markets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 146(6), pages 2169-2205.
- Pierre-Olivier Weill & Guillaume Rocheteau & Ricardo Lagos, 2010. "Crises and Liquidity in Over-the-counter Markets," 2010 Meeting Papers 500, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2009. "Crises and Liquidity in Over-the-Counter Markets," NBER Working Papers 15414, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shoko Morimoto, 2009. "Asset markets can achieve efficiency in the directed search framework," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 09-33, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Ricardo Lagos, 2006.
"Asset prices and liquidity in an exchange economy,"
373, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Georges, Christophre, 2008. "Staggered updating in an artificial financial market," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 2809-2825, September.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2011.
"Liquidity in frictional asset markets,"
1105, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.