Transition Problems in Economic Reform: Agriculture in the North American Free Trade Agreement
AbstractHow fast should Mexican agriculture be incorporated into the North American Free Trade Agreement? The authors focus on the implications for policy design of the absence of efficient capital markets on the welfare costs of reforming gradually, on incentive problems created by trade adjustment policies, and on the redistributive aspects of policy reform--all transitional problems that arise in most economic reforms. A key consideration is that adjustment should focus on increasing the value of the assets owned by the groups affected and not on direct income transfers or programs targeted on characteristics controlled by the beneficiaries. Copyright 1995 by American Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal American Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 85 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Salvator Nkunzimana & H. Alan Love & C. Richard Shumway, 2003. "Mexican agricultural trade under the GATT," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(4), pages 449-459.
- Roberto De Santis, 2001. "The 1990 Trade Liberalisation Policy of Turkey: An Applied General Equilibrium Assessment," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 115-132.
- Chiquiar, Daniel, 2008.
"Globalization, regional wage differentials and the Stolper-Samuelson Theorem: Evidence from Mexico,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 70-93, January.
- Daniel Chiquiar, 2004. "Globalization, Regional Wage Differentials and the Stolper-Samuelson Theorem: Evidence from México," Working Papers 2004-06, Banco de México.
- Gabriel Gonzalez-Konig & Quentin Wodon, 2005. "Do Cash Transfers to Farmers Reduce Migration? Procampo in Mexico," Department of Economics and Finance Working Papers EC200501, Universidad de Guanajuato, Department of Economics and Finance, revised Aug 2005.
- James Boyce, 1996. "Ecological Distribution, Agricultural Trade Liberalization, and In Situ Genetic Diversity," Published Studies ps14, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Robert Shelburne, 2006. "A Utilitarian Welfare Analysis of Trade Liberalization," ECE Discussion Papers Series 2006_4, UNECE.
- Anderson, James E, 2002.
"Trade Reform Diagnostics with Many Households, Quotas, and Tariffs,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 215-36, May.
- James E. Anderson, 1999. "Trade Reform Diagnostics with Many Households, Quotas, and Tariffs," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 417, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 03 May 2000.
- Anderson, James E., 1997.
"Revenue Neutral Trade Reform with Many Households, Quotas and Tariffs,"
626, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Anderson, J-E, 1997. "Revenue Neutral Trade Reform With Many Households, Quotas and Tariffs," Papers 626, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- James E. Anderson, 1997. "Revenue Neutral Trade Reform with Many Households, Quotas and Tariffs," NBER Working Papers 6181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beghin, John & Dessus, Sebastien & Roland-Holst, David & van der Mensbrugghe, Dominique, 1997. "The trade and environment nexus in Mexican agriculture. A general equilibrium analysis," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 17(2-3), pages 115-131, December.
- Jensen, Jesper & Tarr, David G., 2011.
"Deep trade policy options for Armenia: The importance of trade facilitation, services and standards liberalization,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2011-33, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Jensen, Jesper & Tarr, David G., 2012. "Deep trade policy options for Armenia: The importance of trade facilitation, services and standards liberalization," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(1), pages 1-54.
- Weiss, Eli & Rosenblatt, David, 2010. "Regional economic growth in Mexico : recent evolution and the role of governance," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5369, The World Bank.
- Féménia, Fabienne & Gohin, Alexandre, 2013.
"On the optimal implementation of agricultural policy reforms,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 61-74.
- Femenia, Fabienne & Gohin, Alexandre, 2010. "On The Optimal Implementation Of Agricultural Policy Reforms," Proceedings Issues, 2010: Climate Change in World Agriculture: Mitigation, Adaptation, Trade and Food Security, June 2010, Stuttgart- Hohenheim, Germany 91285, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- James Boyce, . "The Globalization of Market Failure? International Trade and Sustainable Agriculture," Published Studies ps3, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Jensen, Jesper & Tarr, David G., 2010. "Regional trade policy options for Tanzania : the importance of services commitments," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5481, The World Bank.
- Beetsma, Roel M.W.J. & Debrun, Xavier, 2007. "The new stability and growth pact: A first assessment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 453-477, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.