Wage Distribution and Unemployment: The French Experience
AbstractThe increase in unemployment in Europe is often traced, at least partially, to the existence of some rigidities in the labor market. It is common wisdom that wage inflexibilitya nd labor-marketin stitutionsi ncrease the cost in terms of unemployment of adapting to shocks. In particular, minimum- wage legislation is seen to have an important responsibility in countries where it is binding. Such legislation may have at least two, non-mutually-exclusivee,f fects. It may prevent wage distribution from adjusting, counteracting an increase in wage inequality, and/or it may lead to mounting unemployment in the low-skill segment of the labor market (...).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal American Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 84 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Other versions of this item:
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi, 1994. "Wage Distribution and Unemployment: The French Experience," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/5901, Sciences Po.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi, 2006.
"Macroeconomic Policies and Institutions,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2006-06, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/5639 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/4601 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi, 2005. "Politiche macroeconomiche e istituzioni : lezione 'Angelo Costa'," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/4601, Sciences Po.
- Henri Sterdyniak & Pierre Villa & Département analyse, 1998.
"Pour une réforme du financement de la Sécurité sociale,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(4), pages 155-205.
- Henri Sterdyniak & Pierre Villa & Département analyse et prévision de l'OFCE, 1998. "Pour une réforme du financement de la Sécurité sociale," Revue de l'OFCE, Programme National Persée, vol. 67(1), pages 155-205.
- Henri Sterdyniak & Pierre Villa, 1998. "Pour une réforme du financement de la Sécurité sociale," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/5281, Sciences Po.
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi, 2000.
"Allégements des charges sur les bas salaires,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/5639, Sciences Po.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/5281 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.