Strategic Commercial Policy Revisited: A Supply-Function Equilibrium Model
AbstractThe author considers a model in which one firm in each of two countries produces a homogeneous good and sells it exclusively to a third country. Each firm simultaneously selects a supply function before a demand shock occurs. The model assumes that the home government can precommit to a subsidy function. The optimal marginal subsidy rate is shown to decrease with domestic exports. This induces the firms to select steeper supply functions, thereby softening competition. The strategic complementarity between supply functions' slopes is the key to these results. Copyright 1992 by American Economic Association.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal American Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 82 (1992)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Other versions of this item:
- Laussel, D., 1990. "Strategic Commercial Policy Revisited: A Supply Function Equilibrium Model," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 90a05, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xavier Vives, 2009.
"Strategic Supply Function Competition with Private Information,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1736, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Xavier Vives, 2011. "Strategic Supply Function Competition With Private Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 79(6), pages 1919-1966, November.
- Vives, Xavier, 2008. "Strategic supply function competition with private information," IESE Research Papers D/774, IESE Business School.
- Xavier Vives, 2008. "Strategic Supply Function Competition with Private Information," CESifo Working Paper Series 2410, CESifo Group Munich.
- Xavier Vives, 2009. "Strategic Supply Function Competition with Private Information," CESifo Working Paper Series 2856, CESifo Group Munich.
- Vives, Xavier, 2008. "Strategic Supply Function Competition with Private Information," CEPR Discussion Papers 6960, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Massimo Motta & Michele Polo, . "Product differentiation and endogenous mode of competition," Working Papers 134, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Espinosa Alejos, María Paz & Ciarreta Antuñano, Aitor, 2005. "A Supply Function Competition Model for the Spanish Wholesale Electricity Market," DFAEII Working Papers 2005-18, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Michele Polo & Piero Tedeschi, . "Equilibrium and Renegotiation in Delegation Games," Working Papers 116, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Aitor Ciarreta & María Paz Espinosa, 2003. "Market Power In The Spanish Wholesale Electricity Market," Working Papers. Serie AD 2003-22, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Abolmassov Aleksandr & Kolodin Denis, 2003. "Structural changes in Russian electricity market," EERC Working Paper Series 01-016e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Murat Usman, 2004.
"Incompletely informed policymakers and trade policy in oligopolistic industries,"
University of Manchester, vol. 72(3), pages 283-297, 06.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Murat Usman, 2003. "Incompletely Informed Policymakers and Trade Policy in Oligopolistic Industries," Research Papers 2003_06, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Bourjade, Sylvain, 2009.
"Strategic price discounting and rationing in uniform price auctions,"
Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 23-27, October.
- Bourjade, Sylvain, 2003. "Strategic Price Discounting and Rationing in Uniform Price Auctions," MPRA Paper 7260, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2007.
- Bulut, Harun & Koray, Semih, 2008. "Competition and Regulation Via Supply and Demand Functions in Oligopolistic-Oligopsonistic Markets," Staff General Research Papers 12930, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fernando Mesa, 2009. "Piecemeal Oligopoly, Exchange Rate Uncertainty, and Trade Policy," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Adilov, Nodir, 2012. "Strategic use of forward contracts and capacity constraints," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 164-173.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.