Overdrafts and the Demand for Money
AbstractThis paper presents a stochastic analysis of the demand for interest-bearing money, such as NOW accounts, when overdrafting is allowed at some penalty rate. It is shown that the short-run interest elasticity of money demand is probably large (in absolute value) and negative, but in the long run this elasticity is much smaller or even positive. It is also argued that current definitions of the monetary aggregates, which exclude unused credit, may spuriously generate instability of money demand. An alternative definition of money stock is suggested and seems to be conceptually more satisfying. Copyright 1990 by American Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal American Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 80 (1990)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alvarez, Fernando & Lippi, Francesco, 2013.
"The demand of liquid assets with uncertain lumpy expenditures,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(7), pages 753-770.
- Fernando Alvarez & Francesco Lippi, 2012. "The Demand of Liquid Assets with Uncertain Lumpy Expenditures," NBER Working Papers 18152, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fernando Alvarez & Francesco Lippi, 2013. "The demand of liquid assets with uncertain lumpy expenditures," EIEF Working Papers Series 1307, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Mar 2013.
- Bar-Ilan, Avner & Perry, David & Stadje, Wolfgang, 2004. "A generalized impulse control model of cash management," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1013-1033, March.
- Bar-Ilan, Avner & Marion, Nancy, 2013.
"Demand for cash with intra-period endogenous consumption,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 2668-2678.
- Bar-Ilan, Avner & Marion, Nancy, . "Demand for Cash with Intra-Period Endogenous Consumption," Working Papers WP2010/4, University of Haifa, Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2010.
- Marc Fusaro, 2009. "The rank, stock, order and epidemic effects of technology adoption: an empirical study of bounce protection programs," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 24-42, February.
- Avner Bar-Ilan, 2000. "Investment with an arithmetic process and lags," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(5), pages 203-206.
- John Ashton & Andros Gregoriou, 2014. "The role of implicit costs and product quality in determining the customer costs of using personal current accounts," Working Papers 14001, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Fusaro, Marc Anthony, 2010. "Are "bounced check loans" really loans? Theory, evidence and policy," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 492-500, November.
- Youngsoo Bae & Robert M. de Jong, 2007. "Money demand function estimation by nonlinear cointegration," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 767-793.
- Marc Fusaro, 2008. "Hidden Consumer Loans: An Analysis of Implicit Interest Rates on Bounced Checks," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 251-263, June.
- Bar-Ilan, Avner & Sulem, Agnes & Zanello, Alessandro, 2002. "Time-to-build and capacity choice," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 69-98, January.
- Baccarin, Stefano, 2009. "Optimal impulse control for a multidimensional cash management system with generalized cost functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(1), pages 198-206, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.