Can We Sterilize? Theory and Evidence
AbstractThis paper is a highly selective review of our knowledge about the scope for sterilized intervention in foreign exchange markets under alternative exchange-rate regimes. Section I demonstrates the potential importance of simultaneous-equations bias in single-equation econometric studies of the capital-account offset to monetary policy under fixed exchange rates. The empirical record suggests that, in the case of West Germany, sterilization was a feasible short-run monetary strategy in the 1960s. Section II notes that there is considerable recent evidence of imperfect asset substitutability under the managed float. While limited substitution between bonds of different currency denomination is a precondition for the efficacy of sterilized foreign-exchange intervention, it is no guarantee of efficacy. Whether limited substitutability can in fact be exploited in a predictable manner by central banks is a distinct, and unanswered, question.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal American Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 72 (1982)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Hodrick, Robert J, 1980. "Forward Exchange Rates as Optimal Predictors of Future Spot Rates: An Econometric Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 829-53, October.
- Hakkio, Craig S., 1981.
"The term structure of the forward premium,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 41-58.
- Craig S. Hakkio, 1979. "The Term Structure of the Forward Premium," Discussion Papers 404, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Craig S. Hakkio, 1980. "The Term Structure of the Forward Premium," NBER Working Papers 0426, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Robert E. Cumby & Maurice Obstfeld, 1981.
"Capital Mobility and the Scope for Sterilization: Mexico in the 1970s,"
NBER Working Papers
0770, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Cumby & Maurice Obstfeld, 1983. "Capital Mobility and the Scope for Sterilization: Mexico in the 1970s," NBER Chapters, in: Financial Policies and the World Capital Market: The Problem of Latin American Countries, pages 245-276 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Cumby & Maurice Obstfeld, 1981. "Capital mobility and the scope for sterilization: Mexico in the 1970s," International Finance Discussion Papers 187, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bordo, Michael D & Eichengreen, Barry, 1997.
"Implications of the Great Depression for the Development of the International Monetary System,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1680, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael D. Bordo & Barry Eichengreen, 1998. "Implications of the Great Depression for the Development of the International Monetary System," NBER Chapters, in: The Defining Moment: The Great Depression and the American Economy in the Twentieth Century, pages 403-454 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael D. Bordo & Barry Eichengreen, 1997. "Implications of the Great Depression for the Development of the International Monetary System," NBER Working Papers 5883, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark P. Taylor & Lucio Sarno, 2001.
"Official Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market: Is It Effective and, If So, How Does It Work?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(3), pages 839-868, September.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001. "Official Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market: Is It Effective, and, If So, How Does It Work?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2690, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Claudia M. Buch & Elke Hanschel, 1999. "The Effectiveness of Capital Controls � The Case of Slovenia," Kiel Working Papers 933, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- J. Stephen Ferris & Hossein Kavand, 2008. "The monetary effects arising from stochastic resource revenues and the subsidization of financial intermediation in resource rich developing economies," Carleton Economic Papers 08-05, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Jaromir Benes & Andrew Berg & Rafael A Portillo & David Vavra, 2013. "Modeling Sterilized Interventions and Balance Sheet Effects of Monetary Policy in a New-Keynesian Framework," IMF Working Papers 13/11, International Monetary Fund.
- Ouyang, Alice Y. & Rajan, Ramkishen S. & Willett, Thomas D., 2010.
"China as a reserve sink: The evidence from offset and sterilization coefficients,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 951-972, September.
- Alice Y. Ouyang & Ramkishen S. Rajan & Thomas D. Willett, 2007. "China as a Reserve Sink: The Evidence from Offset and Sterilization Coefficients," Working Papers 102007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- William H. Branson, 1982. "Exchange-Rate Policy After a Decade of "Floating"," NBER Working Papers 0909, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nouriel Roubini, 1988. "Offset and Sterilization Under Fixed Exchange Rates With An Optimizing Central Bank," NBER Working Papers 2777, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reuven Glick & Michael Hutchison, 1989. "Exchange rates and monetary policy," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Spr, pages 17-29.
- Sebastian Edwards & Fernando J. Losada, 1994. "Fixed Exchange Rates, Inflation and Macroeconomic Discipline," NBER Working Papers 4661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.