Are Young French Jobseekers of Ethnic Immigrant Origin Discriminated Against? A Controlled Experiment in the Paris Area
AbstractThis study uses the findings of a correspondence test in order to assess the potential discrimination at the job access level against young people of ethnic minority origin from the underprivileged suburbs of the Paris area (Ile-de-France). We measure simultaneously the effects of place of residence (privileged or underprivileged town), of nationality (French or Moroccan), and of sound of surname and of forename on the chances of obtaining a job interview when answering a job advertisement. We base our assessment on a controlled experiment conducted on the profession of accountant. We constructed 16 jobseeker profiles and sent 1 097 résumés in reply to 140 job vacancies advertised at the end of 2006. We find evidence of an important discrimination against candidates of foreign origin, that is partly counterbalanced by the actions of the governmental employment agency and the large corporations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ENSAE in its journal Annals of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 99-100 ()
Other versions of this item:
- Emmanuel Duguet & Noam Leandri & Yannick L'Horty & Pascale Petit, 2009. "Are young French jobseekers of ethnic immigrant origin discriminated against? A controlled experiment in the Paris area," Working Papers halshs-00809665, HAL.
- Emmanuel Duguet & Noam Leandri & Yannick L’Horty & Pascale Petit, 2008. "Are young French jobseekers of ethnic immigrant origin discriminated against? A controlled experiment in the Paris area," Documents de recherche 08-06, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Emmanuel Duguet & Noam Leandri & Yannick L?Horty & Pascale Petit, . "Are young French jobseekers of ethnic immigrant origin discriminated against? A controlled experiment in the Paris area," Papers 2010-1, TEPP Working Papers.
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data
- C93 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Field Experiments
- J15 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Minorities, Races, and Immigrants; Non-labor Discrimination
- J71 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination - - - Hiring and Firing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pascale Petit, 2003. "Comment évaluer la discrimination à l'embauche ?," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 17(3), pages 55-87.
- Romain Aeberhardt & Julien Pouget, 2007.
"National Origin Wage Differentials in France. Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data”,"
2007-15, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Aeberhardt, Romain & Pouget, Julien, 2007. "National Origin Wage Differentials in France: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data," IZA Discussion Papers 2779, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rachid Boumahdi & Jean-François Giret, 2005. "Une analyse économétrique des disparités d'accès à l'emploi et de rémunérations entre jeunes d'origine française et jeunes issus de l'immigration," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 56(3), pages 625-636.
- Riach, Peter A & Rich, Judith, 1991. "Testing for Racial Discrimination in the Labour Market," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 239-56, September.
- Peter Riach & Judith Rich, 1991. "Testing for racial discrimination in the labour market," Natural Field Experiments 00327, The Field Experiments Website.
- Mathieu Bunel & Emilia Ene Jones & Yannick L'Horty & Pascale Petit, 2013.
"Discrimination based on place of residence and access to employment,"
- Mathieu Bunel & Emilia Ene & Yannick L’horty & Pascale Petit, 2013. "Discrimination based on place of residence and access to employment," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201337, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Emmanuel Duguet & Yannick L'Horty & Pascale Petit, 2011.
"Residential Discrimination and Ethnic Origin: An experimental assessment in the Paris suburbs,"
- Emmanuel Duguet & Yannick L?Horty & Pascale Petit, . "Residential Discrimination and Ethnic Origin : An experimental assessment in the Paris suburbs," Papers 2011-04, TEPP Working Papers.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Bruno Decreuse & Morgane Laouenan & Alain Trannoy, 2011.
"Customer Discrimination and Employment Outcomes: Theory and Evidence from the French Labor Market,"
- Pierre-Philippe COMBES & Bruno DECREUSE & Morgane LAOUENAN & Alain TRANNOY, 2013. "Customer Discrimination and Employment OUtcomes: Theory and Evidence from the French Labor Market," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2013016, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Jacquemet, Nicolas & Edo, Anthony, 2013. "La discrimination à l’embauche sur le marché du travail français," Opuscules du CEPREMAP, CEPREMAP, number 31.
- Clémence Berson, 2012.
"Does Competition Induce Hiring Equity ?,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Clémence Berson, 2012. "Does Competition Induce Hiring Equity?," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 12019, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Gary-Bobo).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.