The impact of having supplementary private health insurance on the uses of specialists
AbstractThe European Community Household Panel (ECHP) is used to estimate the impact of private health insurance coverage on the use of specialist visits in four European countreis which allow supplementary coverage. The results show that the probability of having private insurance increases with income and with better reported health. Private insurance has a positive effect on the probability of specialist visits in all countries although the magnitude is sensitive to the choice of estimator.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ENSAE in its journal Annals of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): 83-84 ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Appelt, Silvia, 2010. "Authorized Generic Entry prior to Patent Expiry: Reassessing Incentives for Independent Generic Entry," Discussion Papers in Economics 11476, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- FLEURBAEY, Marc & SCHOKKAERT, Erik, 2007.
"Unfair inequalities in health and health care,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2007090, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bolhaar, Jonneke & Lindeboom, Maarten & van der Klaauw, Bas, 2012.
"A dynamic analysis of the demand for health insurance and health care,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 669-690.
- Jonneke Bolhaar & Maarten Lindeboom & Bas van der Klaauw, 0000. "A Dynamic Analysis of the Demand for Health Insurance and Health Care," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 08-084/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Bolhaar, Jonneke & Lindeboom, Maarten & van der Klaauw, Bas, 2008. "A Dynamic Analysis of the Demand for Health Insurance and Health Care," CEPR Discussion Papers 6968, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bolhaar, Jonneke & Lindeboom, Maarten & van der Klaauw, Bas, 2008. "A Dynamic Analysis of the Demand for Health Insurance and Health Care," IZA Discussion Papers 3698, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Majo, Maria Cristina & van Soest, Arthur, 2012. "Income and health care utilization among the 50+ in Europe and the US," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 28(4), pages 3-22.
- Denise Doiron & Denzil G Fiebig & Agne Suziedelyte, 2013. "Hips and hearts: the variation in incentive effects of insurance across hospital procedures," Discussion Papers 2013-14, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Pilar García Gómez & Ángel López, 2004.
"The evolution of inequity in the access to health care in Spain: 1987-2001,"
Working Papers, Research Center on Health and Economics
756, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2006.
- Pilar García Gómez & Ángel López, 2004. "The evolution of inequity in the access to health care in Spain: 1987-2001," Economics Working Papers 756, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2006.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Paolo Li Donni, 2012.
"Incentive and Selection Effects of Medigap Insurance on Inpatient Care,"
EIEF Working Papers Series
1203, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Feb 2012.
- Dardanoni, Valentino & Li Donni, Paolo, 2012. "Incentive and selection effects of Medigap insurance on inpatient care," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 457-470.
- Astrid Kiil, 2012. "Does employment-based private health insurance increase the use of covered health care services? A matching estimator approach," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 1-38, March.
- López Nicolás, Ángel & Vera-Hernández, Marcos, 2008. "Are tax subsidies for private medical insurance self-financing? Evidence from a microsimulation model," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1285-1298, September.
- Chun-Chih Chen & Yen-Ju Lin & Ying-Tzu Lin, 2013. "Awareness and utilization of preventive care services among the elderly under National Health Insurance," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 247-260, December.
- Appelt, Silvia, 2010. "Authorized Generic Entry prior to Patent Expiry: Reassessing Incentives for Independent Generic Entry," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 357, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Gary-Bobo).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.