Optimal Licensing in a Spatial Model
AbstractWe analyze a multi-stage non-cooperative game involving an outside patent-holder, who seeks to licence a process innovation, and two price-setting firms located on a circumference. Three licensing policies are studied: the auction, the fixed fee and the per unit output royalty. The main finding is that, contrary to standard results, royalties yield higher payoffs to the patent-holder than do an auction policy or a fixed fee policy regardless of the size of the innovation. Besides, a conflict between private and social interests arises since consumers are better off when the technology is licensed via fees.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ENSAE in its journal Annals of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): (2002)
Issue (Month): 66 ()
Other versions of this item:
- CABALLERO-SANZ, Francisco & MONER-COLONQUES, Rafael & SEMPERE-MONERRIS, J.J., 1994. "Optimal Licensing in a Spatial Model," CORE Discussion Papers 1994031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- CABALLERO-SANZ, Francisco & MONER-COLONQUES, Rafael & SEMPERE-MONERRIS, José J., . "Optimal licensing in a spatial model," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1588, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00847955 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ménière, Yann & Parlane, Sarah, 2008. "Decentralized of licensing of complementary patents: comparing royalty, fixed fee and two part tariff," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 383, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- MAULEON, Ana & VANNETELBOSCH, Vincent & VERGARI, Cecilia, 2010.
"Bargaining and delay in patent licensing,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2010077, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00847955 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Gary-Bobo).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.