The Quality of the Italian Treasury Bond Market, Asymmetric Information and Transaction Costs
AbstractThis paper analyzes the microstructure of the Italian secondary bond market and of the effects of the 1994 reform and of the introduction of anonymity in 1997. Based on a microstructure model of price formation, we evaluate the relevance of asymmetric information and other microstructure effects, by estimating the VAR representation of the model. We find that market quality improves over time, which we interpret as resulting from the 1994 reform. This is captured both by decreased first order return autocorrelation and by improvement of our market quality indicators. The introduction of anonymity substantially reduces order fragmentation by investors trying to avoid free-riding by less sophisticated traders. No significant evidence of asymmetric information is found.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ENSAE in its journal Annals of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): (2000)
Issue (Month): 60 ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alessandro Girardi, 2008. "The Informational Content of Trades on the EuroMTS Platform," ISAE Working Papers 97, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Calcagno, R. & Lovo, S.M., 2002. "Market Efficiency and Price Formation When Dealers are Asymmetrically Informed," Discussion Paper 2002-42, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alessandro Girardi, 2011.
"Price Discovery and Trade Fragmentation in a Multi-Market Environment: Evidence from the MTS System,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3525, CESifo Group Munich.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Girardi, Alessandro, 2013. "Price discovery and trade fragmentation in a multi-market environment: Evidence from the MTS system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 227-240.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alessandro Girardi, 2011. "Price Discovery and Trade Fragmentation in a Multi-Market Environment: Evidence from the MTS System," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1139, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Chris D'Souza & Ingrid Lo & Stephen Sapp, 2007. "Price Formation and Liquidity Provision in Short-Term Fixed Income Markets," Working Papers 07-27, Bank of Canada.
- Thierry, FOUCAULT & Sophie, MOINAS & Erik, THEISSEN, 2003.
"Does anonymity matter in electronic limit order markets ?,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
784, HEC Paris.
- Thierry Foucault & Sophie Moinas & Erik Theissen, 2007. "Does Anonymity Matter in Electronic Limit Order Markets?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(5), pages 1707-1747, 2007 28.
- Foucault, Thierry & Moinas, Sophie & Theissen, Erik, 2004. "Does Anonymity Matter in Electronic Limit Order Markets?," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 3, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Foucault, Thierry & Moinas, Sophie & Theissen, Erik, 2003. "Does Anonymity Matter in Electronic Limit Order Markets?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4091, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Foucault, Thierry & Moinas, Sophie & Theissen, Erik, 2005. "Does anonymity matter in electronic limit order markets?," CFR Working Papers 05-15, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Cheung, Yiu Chung & de Jong, Frank & Rindi, Barbara, 2004.
"Trading European Sovereign Bonds: The Microstructure of the MTS Trading Platforms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4285, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cheung, Yiu Chung & de Jong, Frank & Rindi, Barbara, 2005. "Trading European sovereign bonds: the microstructure of the MTS trading platforms," Working Paper Series 0432, European Central Bank.
- LOVO, Stefano M. & CALCAGNO, R., 2001. "Market efficiency and Price Formation when Dealers are Asymmetrically Informed," Les Cahiers de Recherche 737, HEC Paris.
- Coluzzi, Chiara & Ginebri, Sergio & Turco, Manuel, 2008. "Measuring and Analyzing the Liquidity of the Italian Treasury Security Wholesale Secondary Market," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp08044, University of Molise, Dept. SEGeS.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Gary-Bobo).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.