Rethinking Within and Between Regressions: The Case of Agricultural Production Functions
AbstractThe canonical form of regressions estimated with panel data consists of within-unit-time, between-unit and between-time regressions. These components represent different outcomes of the underlying economic processes. This is demonstrated in the paper by presenting results for the cross-country agricultural production function where the choice of inputs is convoluted with the choice of techniques. The results shed new light on resource productivity in agriculture and its relationship with the implemented technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ENSAE in its journal Annals of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): (1999)
Issue (Month): 55-56 ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fidel Pérez Sebastián & María Dolores Guilló, 2005.
"Paths Of Development In Open Economies: The Role Of Land,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2005-31, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- María Dolores Guilló & Fidel Perez-Sebastian, 2005. "Paths of Development in Open Economies: The Role of Land," Working Papers 05-04, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- María D. Guilló & Fidel Perez-Sebastian, . "Paths of Development in Open Economies: The Role of Land," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 05-04, FEDEA.
- Guilló, María Dolores & Pérez-Sebastián, Fidel, 2012. "Neoclassical Growth and the Natural Resource Curse Puzzle," QM&ET Working Papers 12-14, Universidad de Alicante, Departamento de Métodos Cuantitativos y Teoría Económica.
- Markus Eberhardt & Francis Teal, 2009.
"A Common Factor Approach to Spatial Heterogeneity in Agricultural Productivity Analysis,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2009-05, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Eberhardt, Markus & Teal, Francis, 2009. "A Common Factor Approach to Spatial Heterogeneity in Agricultural Productivity Analysis," MPRA Paper 15810, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francis Teal & Markus Eberhardt, 2009. "A Common Factor Approach to Spatial Heterogeneity in Agricultural Productivity Analysis," Economics Series Working Papers CSAE WPS/2009-05, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Larson, Donald F. & Otsuka, Keijiro & Kajisa, Kei & Estudillo, Jonna & Diagne, Aliou, 2010. "Can Africa replicate Asia's green revolution in rice ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5478, The World Bank.
- Mundlak, Yair & Butzer, Rita & Larson, Donald F., 2008.
"Heterogeneous technology and panel data : the case of the agricultural production function,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4536, The World Bank.
- Mundlak, Yair & Butzer, Rita & Larson, Donald F., 2012. "Heterogeneous technology and panel data: The case of the agricultural production function," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 139-149.
- Butzer, Rita & Mundlak, Yair & Larson, Donald F., 2010. "Measures of fixed capital in agriculture," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5472, The World Bank.
- Larson, Donald F. & Otsuka, Keijiro & Matsumoto, Tomoya & Kilic, Talip, 2012. "Should African rural development strategies depend on smallholder farms ? an exploration of the inverse productivity hypothesis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6190, The World Bank.
- Reimbaeva, Maya & Shaik, Saleem & Mishra, Ashok K., 2010. "Returns to Scale of Production Function: Pooled, Within and Between Quantile Regression Approach," 2010 Annual Meeting, February 6-9, 2010, Orlando, Florida 56563, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Sergio Destefanis & Vania Sena, 2005. "Public capital and total factor productivity: New evidence from the Italian regions, 1970-98," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(5), pages 603-617.
- Fidel Perez-Sebastian & María Dolores Guillo, 2007. "The Role of Land Along the Development Path," 2007 Meeting Papers 585, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Lieser, Karsten & Groh, Alexander P., 2011. "The determinants of international commercial real estate investments," IESE Research Papers D/935, IESE Business School.
- Larson, Donald F. & Plessmann, Frank, 2002. "Do farmers chooseto be inefficient? evidence from Bicol, Philippines," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2787, The World Bank.
- Larson, Donald & Butzer, Rita & Mundlak, Yair & Crego, Al, . "Sectoral Investment and Capital," Instructional Stata datasets for econometrics sectinvcap, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Larson, David F. & Butzer, Rita & Mundlak, Yair & Crego, Al, 2000. "A Cross-Country Database for Sector Investment and Capital," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(2), pages 371-91, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Gary-Bobo).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.