Testing Convergence: A Panel Data Approach
AbstractThis paper briefly presents new empirical tests of the convergence hypothesis based on panel data. We apply a modified Evans and Karras  testing procedure to three samples (Europe, OECD and World). We propose a nested tests procedure to characterize various convergence processes: absolute or conditional, with or without a common speed of convergence. In the conditional convergence context, we are particularly concerned with the information included in individual effects. We find evidence supporting the existence of an absolute and common convergence process for per capita GDP in the European Union sample (1960-1990). As concerns the OECD sample, structural disparities imply only a conditional convergence process occurring at country-specific speeds. For our World sample (86 countries) there is no convergence process at all. For OECD countries, a first study of fixed effects is proposed. It shows that only the private and public investment ratios are significantly linked to those unobservable structural disparities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ENSAE in its journal Annals of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): (1999)
Issue (Month): 55-56 ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Binder, M. & Hsaio, C. & Pesaran, M.H., 2000.
"Estimation and Inference in Short Panel Vector Autoregressions with Unit Roots and Cointegration,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0003, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Binder, Michael & Hsiao, Cheng & Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2005. "Estimation And Inference In Short Panel Vector Autoregressions With Unit Roots And Cointegration," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(04), pages 795-837, August.
- Michael Binder & Cheng Hsiao & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2000. "Estimation and Inference In Short Panel Vector Autoregressions with Unit Roots And Cointegration," CESifo Working Paper Series 374, CESifo Group Munich.
- Michael Binder, Cheng Hsiao, and M. Hashem Pesaran, 2001. "Estimation and Inference in Short Panel Vector Autoregressions with Unit Roots and Cointegration," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 36, Society for Computational Economics.
- Michael Binder & Cheng Hsiao & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2000. "Estimation and Inference in Short Panel Vector Autoregressions with Unit Roots and Cointegration," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0005, Banco de Espa�a.
- Juarez, Miguel A. & Steel, Mark F. J., 2006.
"Non-Gaussian dynamic Bayesian modelling for panel data,"
450, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Miguel A. Juárez & Mark F. J. Steel, 2010. "Non‐gaussian dynamic bayesian modelling for panel data," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(7), pages 1128-1154, November/.
- Bond, Stephen Roy & Hoeffler, Anke & Temple, Jonathan, 2001.
"GMM Estimation of Empirical Growth Models,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3048, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marie-Eve Mulquin & Katja Senger, 2011. "Interregional transfers and economic convergence of regions," Sï¿½rie Politique Economique 58, Facult�s Universitaires Notre-Dame de la Paix, Centre de Recherches en Economie R�gionale et Politique Economique.
- Rodolfo Cermeño, 2002. "Growth convergence clubs: Evidence from Markov-switching models using panel data," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 D5-3, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Guetat, Imene & Serranito, Francisco, 2007. "Income convergence within the MENA countries: A panel unit root approach," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(5), pages 685-706, February.
- Martin Andersson & Hans Lööf, 2011.
"Agglomeration and productivity: evidence from firm-level data,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 601-620, June.
- Andersson, Martin & Lööf, Hans, 2009. "Agglomeration and Productivity - evidence from firm-level data," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 170, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Angelos Liontakis & Christos T. Papadas & Irene Tzouramani, 2011. "Regional Economic Convergence in Greece: A Stochastic Dominance Approach," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1188, European Regional Science Association.
- Niang, Abdou-Aziz & Pichery, Marie-Claude & Edjo, Marcellin, 2010. "Convergence test in the presence of structural changes: an empirical procedure based on panel data with cross-sectional dependence," MPRA Paper 23452, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Gary-Bobo).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.