Transaction Costs in a Tiebout Setup
AbstractThe paper addresses three issues related to Tiebout-type equilibrium: (a) Is the property tax a second-best instrument? (b) Given the feasible instrument menu, is a Tiebout-type allocation with profit-maximizing suppliers of the LPG constrained efficient? (c) Given the ranking of instruments, are profit maximizing developers better equipped with instruments conductive to efficiency than local jurisdictions? It is shown that the property tax is not necessarily a second-best instrument, that Tiebout-type equilibrium is constrained efficient, and that developers in the strict sense lack the second-best instruments available to local governments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ENSAE in its journal Annals of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): (1997)
Issue (Month): 45 ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Lafourcade, Miren, 2001. "Transport Cost Decline and Regional Inequalities: Evidence from France," CEPR Discussion Papers 2894, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Head, Charles Keith & Mayer, Thierry, 2003.
"The Empirics of Agglomeration and Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3985, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Picard, Pierre M & Thisse, Jacques-François & Toulemonde, Eric, 2002.
"Economic Geography and the Role of Profits,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3385, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mion, Giordano, 2003.
"Spatial Externalities and Empirical Analysis: The Case of Italy,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
03-38, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Mion, Giordano, 2004. "Spatial externalities and empirical analysis: the case of Italy," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 97-118, July.
- MION, Giordano, 2003. "Spatial externalities and empirical analysis: the case of Italy," CORE Discussion Papers 2003015, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- MION, Giordano, . "Spatial externalities and empirical analysis: the case of Italy," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1839, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Giuseppe De Arcangelis & Giordano Mion, 2002. "Spatial Externalities and Empirical Analysis: The case of Italy," series 0006, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Metodi Matematici - Università di Bari, revised Jan 2002.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Gary-Bobo).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.