Business Formation and Cyclical Markups in the French Business Cycle
AbstractTwo main aspects of the business cycle have been recently considered as important lines of research: business formation and cyclical fluctuations of markups. In an explicitly imperfect competition framework, one needs to understand how entry and exit are related to markup fluctuations, and how this may account for the effect of aggregate demand on economic activity. The paper has two different goals. The first one is to document on French data the pro-cyclicality of business formation and the counter-cyclicality of markups. The second one is to build an intertemporal stochastic general equilibrium model which gives a common explanation to these two phenomena. A first (quite simple) model is proposed, with monopolistic competition between industries and Cournot competition with free entry inside each industry. A reduced-form model of more satisfactory intertemporal behavior of firms in their entry/exit and markups decisions is then proposed, which will motivate further work to give game-theoretic micro-foundations to these intertemporal behaviors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ENSAE in its journal Annals of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): (1995)
Issue (Month): 37-38 ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Plehn-Dujowich, Jose M., 2008. "On the counter-cyclicality of prices and markups in a Cournot model of entry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 310-313, May.
- Fougère, Denis & Gautier, Erwan & Le Bihan, Hervé, 2008.
"Restaurant Prices and the Minimum Wage,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6892, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Denis FOUGERE & Erwan GAUTIER & Hervé LE BIHAN, 2009. "Restaurant Prices and the Minimum Wage," Working Papers 2009-13, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Fougere, Denis & Gautier, Erwan & Le Bihan, Herve, 2008. "Restaurant Prices And The Minimum Wage," Working Papers 44084, American Association of Wine Economists.
- Fougère, D. & Gautier, E. & Le Bihan, H., 2008. "Restaurant Prices and the Minimum Wage," Working papers 216, Banque de France.
- Fougère, Denis & Gautier, Erwan & Le Bihan, Hervé, 2009. "Restaurant Prices and the Minimum Wage," IZA Discussion Papers 4070, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paulo Brito & Luís Costa & Huw Dixon, 2010.
"Non-Smooth Dynamics and Multiple Equilibria in a Cournt-Ramsey Model with Endogenous Markups,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2010/14, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Brito, Paulo B. & Costa, Luís F. & Dixon, Huw, 2013. "Non-smooth dynamics and multiple equilibria in a Cournot–Ramsey model with endogenous markups," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 2287-2306.
- Brito, Paulo & Costa, Luís F. & Dixon, Huw, 2008. "Non-smooth Dynamics and Multiple Equilibria in a Cournot-Ramsey Model with Endogenous Markups," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2008/21, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section, revised Jul 2010.
- Rodolphe Dos Santos Ferreira & Frederic Dufourt, 2006.
"Free entry and business cycles under the influence of animal spirits,"
- Dos Santos Ferreira, Rodolphe & Dufourt, Frederic, 2006. "Free entry and business cycles under the influence of animal spirits," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 311-328, March.
- Jaimovich, Nir & Floetotto, Max, 2008.
"Firm dynamics, markup variations, and the business cycle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(7), pages 1238-1252, October.
- Nir Jaimovich, 2004. "Firm Dynamics, Markup Variations, and the Business Cycle," Discussion Papers 07-013, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research, revised Mar 2007.
- Kuhry, Yves, 2001. "Endogenous fluctuations in a cournotian monopolistic competition model with free entry and market power variability," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 389-412, December.
- Chris Edmond & Laura Veldkamp, 2008.
"Income Dispersion and Counter-Cyclical Markups,"
NBER Working Papers
14452, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaimovich, Nir, 2007.
"Firm dynamics and markup variations: Implications for sunspot equilibria and endogenous economic fluctuations,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 300-325, November.
- Nir Jaimovich, 2007. "Firm Dynamics and Markup Variations: Implications for Sunspot Equilibria and Endogenous Economic Fluctuation," Discussion Papers 07-011, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Gary-Bobo).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.