Congestion and Game in Capacity: a Duopoly Analysis in the Presence of Network Externalities
AbstractWe consider the case of a duopoly selling perfect substitutes except for their level of capacity. Firms are playing a two-stage game in which they take capacities as given when they play in prices and anticipate the price outcome when they play in capacities. We analyze the case where consumers are homogeneous and where they are differentiated in their willingness to pay to avoid congestion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ENSAE in its journal Annals of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): (1989)
Issue (Month): 15-16 ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christian Ahlin & Peter Ahlin, 2006. "Hotelling Was Right About Snob/Congestion Goods (Asymptotically)," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0621, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- de Palma, André & Kilani, Moez & Lindsey, Robin, 2007. "Maintenance, service quality and congestion pricing with competing roads," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 573-591, June.
- Ubbels, Barry & Verhoef, Erik T., 2008. "Governmental competition in road charging and capacity choice," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 174-190, March.
- Lei Zhang & David Levinson, 2006. "Economics of Road Network Ownership," Working Papers 200908, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- Bruno De Borger & Wilfried Pauwels, 2010. "A Nash bargaining solution to models of tax and investment competition: tolls and investment in serial transport corridors," Working Papers 2010/1, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- HAIMANKO, Ori & STEINBERG, Richard, 2000. "Price symmetry in a duopoly with congestion," CORE Discussion Papers 2000056, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- de Palma, André & Proost, Stef & van der Loo, Saskia, 2010. "Assessing transport investments - Towards a multi-purpose tool," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 834-849, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Gary-Bobo).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.